Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Weird Effect

Hybrid View

Cool Weird Effect

Look closely at the legs of the players in this game action photo.

I've never seen anything quite like this. I believe the horizontal streaking, which wan't really there, is the effect of flash bounce off a very brightly freshly waxed gym floor (first week of the season).

As can be deduced from the background, this is a VERY poorly lit gym, where flash is absolutely necessary to get anything other than a black blob. The wax job was brighter than the lights!

I'd think getting a little higher so the flash bouncing off the floor isn't at such a flat angle would help. Any thoughts on this effect, or ideas on how to compensate for it?

What flash do you have? Try setting the flash to the highest zoom (most power and narrow field of flash) and do try to set it a bit higher.

Those are the only things I can think of. That's a weird effect lol.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

At the risk of being accused of Perversion but exclusively in the interest of science, I have closely examined the young female legs and concluded, after much deliberation, that 1/125th has not eradicated motion blur and that these young ladies were really motoring. It seems clear that extreme speeds have instigated a light bending phenomena and that interaction with the viewfinder prism has resulted in reflective aberrations manifesting in the characteristic streaking we see in this picture. Please send more pictures of female legs so that I can make even more penetrating observations and further this exiting scientific research.

That could be true if this was a cartoon where there legs move faster than there bodies. LOL

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

where were they at on the court? is that the center court circle or if they are close to the key i wonder if maybe that isn't the flash doing a double bounce back like hitting the waxed floor bouncing back and up and hitting the glass in the backboard and then 'diffusing' into those 'wave' forms?? may not show up on the uniforms, and the angle bouncing back may miss the face and arms. shoot more and see if you get it again, does it show up all over the court etc. a mystery!!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Not a photo expert at all but, my first thought was that the reflection of the flash bouncing off of the floor is affected by the different colored hardwood boards. In other words the darker ones absorb more of the flash but still reflect and the lighter boards reflect more of the light. Again, this was just the first thing that came too my mind.
    Chris

This shot was near center court, but I saw a similar effect on a couple of shots near the top of the circle, and in the lane. Distances ranged considerably, but all that displayed the effect were shot from close to floor level.

I have a Sigma EF530 flash. I'd be inclined to use the difuser, but in this gym, the lights are so poor you can't give away any light. I'll try it anyway the next time I'm in that barn, just to see what happens.