Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    In summary then,

Sony's High ISO performance is substandard compared to rival manufacturers.
    Firmware releases are unlikely to substantially improve the situation.
    Hardware upgrades are probably a non starter for marketing (profit) reasons.
    Chances are a replacement A700 will be out in the spring, maybe with bigger sensor, better noise performance and probably LiveView.

A putative A700 replacement mean that hardware upgrades from Sony are even less likely (if they ever were) given the economic downturn. This is disastrous for manufacturers relying on volume sales for their profitability and I think I'm right in saying that Sony's Camera Division is not yet in the black. When the new model is released they will need to shift serious volume so, will that mean aggresive pricing and will the current reduced pricing on A700 have cleared stock from the retail channel?
    I wonder if they will sell the A700 as a slot down for a while. Nikon and Canon have wider ranges, and there is a bit of a gap between the A700 and the A350. They could drop the A700 into the $800ish gap, and then the A750/800 will sit a little north of where the A700 currently is.

I'm not saying this is likely, but I think it's a possibility. Because Sony is so new to SLRs, there aren't precidents to base expectations on. But if they are going to keep gaining on Canon and Nikon, they probably need to sell more than (basically) 3 cameras.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Camera Labs MkII Review is up.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II/

They compare it to the A900 a bit.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I wonder if they will sell the A700 as a slot down for a while. Nikon and Canon have wider ranges, and there is a bit of a gap between the A700 and the A350. They could drop the A700 into the $800ish gap, and then the A750/800 will sit a little north of where the A700 currently is.

I'm not saying this is likely, but I think it's a possibility. Because Sony is so new to SLRs, there aren't precidents to base expectations on. But if they are going to keep gaining on Canon and Nikon, they probably need to sell more than (basically) 3 cameras.
    Well, I think there's a good argument against selling too many bodies with so little to differentiate them. But I think it's clear that with the current pricing of the A700 that Sony cleared the way for a new model somewhere around the old A700 pricing.
    As I said previously, the real question for me is whether it'll simply be a tarted up body with Liveview or will they also give it a bigger sensor and better noise reduction.
    If they don't do the latter, then I can't see anyone upgrading.

Cool Back to the challenge ...

NOISE ... I can just hear it now -> "STOP THE NOISE"

One of the best ideas to come down the pike is still, in my opinion and others, the back-illuminated CMOS sensor. If the next camera body comes out with that in it ... we will all be trading in or simply retiring the old bodies. It is such a quantum improvement in imaging, it will set the other manufacturers on their ear.

SONY has a new market ... the overall loss is minimal compared to Canikon and they can seize marketshare and grab the "pros" in one fell swoop, providing almost a complete f-stop of light capture without changing a single lens!

Suddenly, the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 acts like a f/2.5-5. I mean to tell you, that delivers this lens indoors ... mostly without flash! How cool is that?

Anyway ... that's the hope for this summer. C'mon SONY ... make my day!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Given the apparent advantage of the technology, it's hard too see why the difficulties in the design weren't overcome sooner.
    Or is it? Big Manufacturers plan years ahead and Profit's the name of the game. An upgrade path which maximises their chance of selling you a bunch of cameras rather than one or two is their aim. Maybe that's one reason why top lenses are so expensive. I mean, it's easy to see and justify the step up from a "kit" lens to a midrange lens, say an f4 Beercan, then to an f2.8 G, but no one's going to be tempted by an f2.8 "kit" lens. Once you've got your 2.8 G, that's it, it's going to last you for 20/30years and be used on several bodies.
    I think this new technolgy will make an appearance is the P&S market and maybe the very top end DSLR but the rest of us will have to wait, except we won't. A100..A700..A900..A1100..A1300..A1500..
    I hope I'm wrong but history says otherwise.

Noise? I don't hear any noise.

Take a listen to your A900
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb In the glass, by itself ...

Peter ... if SONY produced a couple more "bright" PRIMES, not just the 35mm f/1.4 G, 50 f/1.4, CZ 85mm f/1.8 & CZ 135mm f/1.8 ... and the upcoming 400mm f/4 G, on the extreme ends ... such as 20mm f/2.0 and a HS 200mm f/1.8 APO ... that would shift a few options in their favor. Noise would drop, due to more available light for each shot. Currently, only f/2.8 aperture exists in available lenses.

I mean, how many people would balk at a chance at a 200mm bright shot? Obviously, it would have to be an outstanding piece of glass (better than anything currently on the market), but again, it would ignite another lens frenzy. People love new glass ... unless it is "DT" LOL
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, I think it's marketing again. Most sales appear to be in Zooms, people seem to have forgotten (or simply don't know) that primes give better results.
    I suppose Sony are concentrating on what they see as "mass" markets and will eventually get round to the primes.

Talking The simple math ... for the edification of one and all

Well, "pros = primes."

'Nuff said?

It comes from:

Proper Professional Procedure Predicts Performance Predominates with PRIMES ... or something like that

If SONY wants the "big guns" using their product, they have to have a product for them to use. (Business 102)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-27-2009 at 12:04 PM.

flickr & Sdi