Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Spring time ... way up

I decided to take my digital photography skyward, this Spring ... with a bit of an experiment.

A month or two ago, Sean asked about a "CAMROC" ...

Name:  camrocandpicture2.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  12.0 KB

which was a popular single-shot film camera built into the nose-cone of a model rocket. When the parachute-ejection took place, at the apex of the launch sequence, the nose-cone was ejected and the shutter tripped when it dangled from the recovery parachute, looking downward.

Then, "CINEROC" came out, which had a miniature 8mm movie camera built into it, looking downward along the rocket tube ... which recorded the entire flight profile on film, which was developed and shown with a 8mm film projector.

Well, as you might expect, things have progressed a bit going into the 21st Century. The modern camera is now a digital USB recording, which you can directly upload to your PC, after the flight, skipping over that dreaded "developing" phase ... and you can review right at the launch site (if you recover your rocket, of course.) I ordered up this new Estes ASTROVISION (<- click on this link) for this purpose. Therefore being able to not only get the rocket launch from the bottom only, but the entire flight too. Documentation is important.

There are even bigger rockets designed, but you need to have to have been rocketry classed and certified to shoot up something as heavy as a P&S or DSLR. You just STUFF IT in there ... pack it real tight ... and let it fly, right?

Name:  pack-it-in-there-and-launch.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  214.7 KB
    (Kids: Do not try this ... it'll just sit on the launch rail and burn!)

Name:  Maine-West.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  437.0 KB

Can you just imagine an α100 hurtling straight down ... due to 'chute failure or some other mishap. Three pounds of lens and camera body, dropping from three hundred feet or more ...

WHAM!
    Name:  Impact-Maine-West.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  441.0 KB
    Simulated α100 & Lens impact crater

Okay 'Rooz', quit your laffin'! Do not underestimate the power of photography!

Anyway, if you have a young teen or Cub Scout ... this makes Model Rocketry a heck of a lot more of an purposeful event ... than just shooting up a balsa projectile and watching it, with the winds aloft, drift over to the next county.

Name:  flying-screw.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  70.7 KB

Or in the case of the North Koreans ... splash diving into the Pacific Ocean.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

LOL damn Don! I know where some of my 'photo money' stash is going!! And just last summer I gave away the last of my rocket gear to my secretary for her son's 4H project! I bet her husband will want one of these also.
    Now how big a rocket and launch platform are you going to need to send up the a700 lens and robotic control so you can pan tilt and zoom during the flight?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Cool Heavy-Hitters!

Now, Sean ...

You have to know that a rocket is not the most stable of platforms when launched. Forces need to be consistent through the 'flight profile.' Even a minuscule weight-shift would cause the flight path to go absolute bErsErK! I cannot even imagine what a non-gyroscopically & unstabilized torque-shift of the robot head would result in with such a device.

I would imagine just the DSLR would require a Level 3 Certification to have the power to drive such a launch and right here, near O'Hare airport ...

Can you just imagine the sheer size involved?

Name:  Big-Boy-Camera-rockets.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  210.7 KB

Then the gantry to make it all happen?

Name:  BDCR01.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  357.1 KB

Launch that puppy and finally get the shot we all are curious about ...

Name:  area-51.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  28.5 KB
    - Guess where? -

(Big hint: It is in Nevada)

Of course, the "Recovery Phase" could be a bit challenging.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow! talk about payload, man I could put the a700 and my Sony handicam in one of those badboys, along with GPS device to find it afterwards! Those guys aren't burning estes fuel cells in those either. If you are handy with a bit of chemistry you can 'develop' your own fuel mixes but the problem iswhen you go out and start buying the stuff you need you could wind up with a visit from your local ATF agent, or meth lab investigator!

Wink A level of understanding

Just show them the "pictures" ... I think they may understand after that. Documentation, right?

flickr & Sdi

LOL I would love to 'light up' one of those 'tall boys' I wonder if that first rocket in the trio of images has a camera onboard? the rocket has freezeframe on the side, or I wonder if he is working with some anhydrous ammonia or liquid O2 for fuel mix? ANH most likely to dangerous, make it into a missle instead of a rocket, maybe just a cool paint job LOL! In your above posting I don't see the lake at groom lake anywhere? wink wink

Sean ... it was a close-up ... about 2 miles across.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Models in flux

I was informed that my order for the AstroVision rocket kit (EST 1899) was canceled, because apparently Estes Rockets is no longer supplying these camera models. Downright disappointing, to be sure.

Happily, I was able to find another model (still in stock), the Oracle (EST 2187), at another model shop and placed that one on order. It is a larger, more expensive model (of course ).

Name:  EST2187.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  215.4 KB

It delivers an impressive 30 seconds of 320 x 240 Pixels (CIF) quality video of each and every launch. It can capture digital movies of the rocket's entire flight profile. When powered with a D-engine (I'm going with D12-5s), the ORACLE can reach altitudes over 600 feet (183 m). It gently returns to earth on an 18-inch (46 cm) preassembled nylon parachute. Someone put an E9-6 engine in it and it really got some height to it. Problem is that the camera system runs out of room on the recording to contain the ENTIRE flight profile.

In a way, I guess I am happier for having to opt for this one. It is larger, overall, so it should be easier to track, when it gets up there.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-16-2009 at 12:12 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs down No third time ... this idea is over

Okay .. this is the second order canceled as well. Apparently these are discontinued and sold out, nearly everywhere. I have called around the USA, and this discontinuation was done back on February 15th. It would be nice if the web ordering system presented them as such. This purchase seems to be a true "waste of time." Nothing is going UP, this week. Amazing.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Wireless imaging possibilities

Through some more investigation, though, despite Estes Rockets apparently having all sorts of issues with the Product Safety Commission (I guess people want them shut down or scaled down), I found a somewhat better alternative which I can build into my original V-2 Rocket ("Stars and Stripes") or something else I put together. I still have the high-performance AIM-54A Phoenix-missile kit,

Name:  Phoenix-EST-1380.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  70.8 KB

with its Estes E9-6 ($4.50 per) or Aerotech E15-7W ($10.00 per) 24mm engine capability. 4 of these tertiary-radar, fire & forget, Mach-5, 100-mile ranged babies hung from the formidable F-14 "Tomcat" Navy jet. 2505 were built. On a historical note: On November 21, 1973 – First Phoenix proves effectiveness in full-arsenal testing on an F-14 operating over the Pacific Missile Sea Test Range. The F-14 fired six Phoenix missiles over a 38-second period and guided them simultaneously at six separate targets 50 miles away, obtaining four direct hits. Flown by CDR John R. “Smoke” Wilson and LCDR Jack Hauver, the Tomcat was flying at speed of M0.78 and an altitude of 24,800 ft - while the target drones were flying at speeds of M0.6 to M1.1. This was the only time six Phoenix were launched by a single aircraft.

Name:  AIM-54_6_Pack.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  85.6 KB

Personally, my absolute favorite air-to-air selection. Once one of these puppies is sicced on ya, you are probably going to have teeth marks.

From BoosterVision.com, they have a miniature 9vdc "Wireless" or 2.4 GHz RF-transmitting camera and microphone that you can you can "live view" during the entire flight.

Name:  Radome-Combo-Lg.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  29.8 KB

You do not even have to wait until the rocket returns.

Yes, it requires some more creative labor to adapt to the rocket, but hey ... with an effective range of 4000-feet, the idea lives on!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.

flickr & Sdi