Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So just erasing the data is safer than formating every time?

Metro Boston / Cape Cod / South Florida, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by R R Kirsteins
    So just erasing the data is safer than formating every time?
    Raymond,

There are actually two different things being discussed here -- whether to format often/everytime and whether to leave/put photos on a memory card for in-camera display.

As to the former, you will find differing points of view in this and other forums. I happen to subscribe to the view that formatting is always the way to go. After most every shoot I upload my photos to my computer, verify that the upload completed successfully, and make backups on two external harddrives. Then I format my SD card in-camera.

I take this approach because of my knowledge of computer file system structure. You may be familiar with the need to periodically run a defragmenter on your computer system. The reason that this is necessary is because files written to the harddisk become fragmented (split into multiple pieces) when there is not enough contiguous space to hold them. This fragmentation gets worse and worse over time.

Deleting files does not eliminate this fragmentation but formatting does. (The Cleanup menu item is the camera-equivalent to the defragment program on your computer but I don't recommend using it.)

Beowulff is absolutely correct in saying that

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulff
    Flash memory does actually "wear out"
    But he and I take differing approaches in addressing the format vs. delete debate.

As to the latter point, the FAT file system used on SD/SDHC cards is not exactly the same as that used in computer systems. That is why it is not good practice to format these cards in a computer -- they should be formatted in the camera. (Panasonic does provide a formatting program for use in a computer but I would only use it to recover a card so messed up that the camera would not recognize it.)

Plus the internal format of the files written on the card by the camera is, to most camera systems, very specific to that manufacturer. So copying a photo from a computer to the card is no guarantee that the photo will be displayable. And even rotating a photo with computer-based software can make the image unviewable (though perfectly useable on the computer).

Just my 2.

I'll still save to PC w/reg back up. Then re-insert card in camera and format it. Worked for me on olympus digitals since 1998 and I still do it on CF cards in the big olympus DSLR's I have today.

I'm interested why you say you'd only do it if the card was corrupted or un-readable?

Raymond

Lens Adapter

Today I received the Pandabase lens adapter purchased from an eBay seller. Unlike the Panasonic adapter (virtually unavailable in the US), the Pandabase adapter has 52mm threads, making it compatible with a much wider selection of filters and add on lens accessories. The quality is absolutely top shelf and I am sure is as good as Panasonic's adapter. It is also cheaper, available, and comes with a lock-in 52mm lens cap.
    The most impressive thing about these adapters is that they completely transform the handling of the camera. As a previous poster stated, it facilitates a much more stable two hand hold. I like the feel of this combination so much that this will be the primary configuration for my LX3. Somebody else said that you might as well get a different camera, but I disagree: even with the adapter, the overall camera is still tiny. Far from pocketable, yes, but still extremely small and lightweight, and having a high quality filter and lens tube completely protecting the camera's lens is comforting in environments where salt water spray or dirt may be a problem otherwise.
    I also carry in my small camera bag a Tamrac 5691 camera pouch for when I want to travel extremely light. It fits the LX3 perfectly and snugly (w/o lens adapter, of course), and has room for both attached neck strap, and a second zippered compartment for spare battery, microfiber cloth, and spare SD card. Perfect! I was using this until I received the lens adapter today; the improvement in camera handling is so substantial that I plan to keep it on the camera most of the time.