Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I do find LX3's lack of tele zoom range can seem like a real limit at times, but all its other benefits help you forget about it more often than not, especially the ability to go as WA as it allows. I am yet to get converter+UV Filter, but tempted to do so myself. Wouldnt waste money on Pana's viewfinder, and their WA conversion as mention only bulks the camera up un-necessarily.
    Cameras: Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix G2, LX3 & FZ20
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

Telephoto for LX3..............

If you really want a telephoto "add-on lens" option for the DMC-LX3. Try getting the correct step up filter rings and use your Olympus T-CON 14 as an add on lens. According to what they are selling on eBay it should work............Raymond

Interesting idea, might give that a shot even if just for the sake of seeing what happens. First have to get the appropriate adapter!
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

Just got the LX3, looking for the DMW LA4 lens adapter and wondering if the stock lens cap will fit on a standard 46mm filter --

also wondering what the consensus is on a protective filter, either Panasonic's or a UV.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noah View Post
    Just got the LX3, looking for the DMW LA4 lens adapter and wondering if the stock lens cap will fit on a standard 46mm filter --
    The stock lens cap doesn't fit (it's 45mm rather than 46mm).
    S: Panasonic LX1 and LX3
    M: Konica Minolta Dimage A2
    L: Canon EOS 30D with Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and Sigma 30 f/1.4 HSM
    Zooomr page

Love this camera!

Going to try the firmware update shortly. Anybody else tried it yet? Did it go smoothly?

Raymond

Firmware updates have been mostly fine for me, i have noticed some memory card errors occurring, but im not sure if thats just user error to blame, but i dont recall it happening before the updates, beyond that ive been happy with the updates.

Firm ware update for DMC-LX3

I'm interested in the focusing improvements the update offers. This is my first camera with a SDHC card so I bought the Panasonic #6 level 16GB card for $79 from B&H and have had no problems yet. I'm still learning the camera though........

Hopefully I'll install the camera software on my computer soon and I'll try the firmware upgrade. Done it twice on my Olympus DSLR's so I'm betting it will go as easy. I'm worried because now I'm running 64 bit Vista and some programs / software just wont install. I've got my fingers crossed that Panasonics will. I did my Olympus DSLR firmware upgrades in XP.

Raymond

DMC-LX3 card corruption problems.....

Just curious..........

I'm a digital photographer from 1998 on and when I first started I worked on both an iMac and a HP windows computer. When the memory card / camera connected to the iMac, the macintosh OS would write and leave file and formating info on the card. When viewed in windows explorer there were non jpg files on the card as well as pictures. I learned to format, not just erase the pictures from my Smart Media cards to prevent file corruption. Since then I download all photos from my memory cards and format them before use

Two years ago I went to a seminar where the speaker implied that people who saved pictures for display in camera on thier memory cards were at risk for corrupted data on their memory cards. You know the commecial here in the USA about the conflict in choosing which pictures to delete from your memory card in camera to make room for new ones? He's saying you should not keep photos on your memory card. Download the entire contents of your card to the computer and the format the card to create a totally clean card for new photos. I guess his kid had a giant memory card and never downloaded any pictures just kept organizing them in the camera and deleting bad ones for years till the memory card crashed and she lost a couple years of priceless photos.

Since you mention card error problems are you cleaning off your card and formatting it everytime in the camera?

Raymond

Nup...

In my opinion, this is a no-no.....

Since you mention card error problems are you cleaning off your card and formatting it every time in the camera?
    Flash memory does actually "wear out" contrary to what a lot of people assume. With being overwritten so many times, data blocks can become corrupted although I'm guessing that SD cards and the like would invoke "wear-levelling" techniques to hopefully avoid this.

Although claims are made that card writing cycles of 100,000x are possible, I personally wouldn't reformat every time I finished a day's shooting. Too risky for the sake of a couple of minute's worth of PC downloading IMHO.

Cheers