Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

DMC-LX3 accessory lenses, view finders and cases...

Hi,
    Just ordered a DMC-LX3 and 16 GB Panasonic class 6 SDHC card.

1) How does the lens cover up when not shooting? I don't see mention of a lens cap anywhere? Want a case but have read the reviews on the fancy leather case making the camera un-usable till top half is removed and kept elsewhere. Anyone try it? I'm more inclined to want a simple small protective case that will hold a memory card and battery too............plus xtra stuff if I get it.

2) $189 DMW-TW46 Wide conversion lens? Anyone got one? Is it worth anything for the carry space it takes? Filters? Does it work in all 3 aspect ratios?

3) $24 DMW-LA4 Conversion adaptor. Looks like a lens shade ending in a 46mm filter thread. Does it viginette at all?

I'll wait to buy my case until I see what stuff I want to haul around with the camera....................Raymond

LX3 review

You might like to check out Jeff's review of the LX3 by clicking HERE.

Yes, it does come with a lens cap as standard.

No, the conversion adapter itself won't cause any vignetting, but if you were to stack too many filters on it (for example) that could happen.

Lowepro make an excellent range of pouches for these sorts of cameras... check out Google.

Personally, I wouldn't be buying the WA lens as its native 24mm is more than enough (in my opinion anyway!). Plus I think for an extra 6mm, it's way overpriced at around $220 including the necessary converter that's around half the price of the camera itself!

In fact, with a max zoom of only 60mm, I'd be far more inclined to buy a third-party tele converter lens (if such an animal is available).

Cheers

Thank you.

Dave's review is great too. Can't wait to try out the selective area focus and the little magnifying window too.

OK as I understand it now. There is a lens cap on a cord.

The conversion adapter attaches (how?) to the camera. It has a 46mm filter thread on end. You can attach either filters or the wide conversion lens to the 46mm thread. Gee, I'm wondering how big this 3 piece set up sticks out in front of the camera?????

Raymond

Coupla questions...

Quote Originally Posted by R R Kirsteins View Post
    Can't wait to try out the selective area focus and the little magnifying window too.

The conversion adapter attaches (how?) to the camera.

Gee, I'm wondering how big this 3 piece set up sticks out in front of the camera?????
    Personally, I wouldn't waste $180 on the optical viewfinder as it's locked at 24mm, which means it's not coupled with the zoom lens, and you're gonna get fairly serious framing errors because of this, particularly at 60mm. It also won't work properly if you're using the 18mm WA conversion lens.

I'm guessing that you unscrew the knurled dress ring you can see around the lens barrel, and then simply screw the adaptor on in its place.

With the WA lens and its adaptor attached to the LX3, you've really lost the advantage of having a nice compact camera for easily carrying around in a large pocket or purse etc. You may as well just buy a different camera/lens setup that's of similar proportions, but without the "hassle" of changing lenses/adaptors in the field.

Incidentally, is there any specific reason you're looking for more than a 24mm wide angle? I ask simply because you're gonna have increased issues with barrel distortion with an add-on 18mm lens. 24mm should be more than enough for architectural, panoramic outdoors, and people group shots.

Cheers

Just to give a different perspective from Beowulff's:

I agree that Panasonic's own optical viewfinder is ludicrously overpriced - the Voigtlander 25mm viewfinder is (at least where I live) half the price (but, like the Panasonic, isn't coupled with the zoom lens). Since I use the LX3 almost exclusively at 24mm, this isn't a problem for me. (I should add that I've had problems with the bright-frame mask shifting inside the viewfinder; nothing that a few minutes with a Phillips-head screwdriver didn't cure.)

I can confirm that you unscrew the dress ring around the lens barrel and screw the adapter on; it is (as one would expect) only slightly longer than the lens itself when it is fully extended (at 24 mm).

What I personally like about using the adapter is that it allows a solid two-handed grip of the camera; I'm not comfortable with holding the camera in just one hand (and would be even more jittery about doing so with a Leica D-Lux 4, which has no built-in hand grip at all). In my experience the neck strap (rather than the hand strap of the LX1/LX2) doesn't inspire confidence in a one-handed grip...

Bags - I use a Kata Macro KS, which has room (just barely) for:
    -The LX3 (with Voigtlander 25mm finder, lens adapter, a UV filter and 46mm lens cap);
    -A spare SDHC memory card (in one side pocket);
    -A Sandisk SDHC card reader (in the other side pocket);
    -Spare battery (in the back pocket); and
    -An extra 46mm filter (also in the back pocket).
    S: Panasonic LX1 and LX3
    M: Konica Minolta Dimage A2
    L: Canon EOS 30D with Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and Sigma 30 f/1.4 HSM
    Zooomr page

Is there any chance of a teleconverter lense ever being available for the lx3?

Nup...

Quote Originally Posted by knobys View Post
    Is there any chance of a teleconverter lense ever being available for the lx3?
    Extremely unlikely, unless it was third-party (and at a HUGE price). Panasonic will/would never do it.

With a teleconverter, the max zoom you're gonna get is about 105mm, which wouldn't justify either its consumer cost, or its manufacture. The supply-and-demand factor simply wouldn't work for the manufacturer, considering that 90% of your existing point 'n' shooters already cover up to around 105mm at the almost-industry-standard 3x zoom.

If you need more than 60mm tele, then you wouldn't be in the market for the LX3, which sells itself on a top quality WA of 24mm.

Cheers

DMC-LX3 external flash options

Got my LX3 and love it. Bought it entirely on specifications and love it's performance so far in low light situations but am finding it's kind of small in my large hands. Using the wrist strap is OK but it's still hard to hold securely one handed. Tried the OP/Tech wrist grip and still have not adjusted the position right to easily find the buttons when "gripped". Got the 3" rubber grip to screw in the tripod mount and I like it but it's still takes two hands. I'm going to violate my warranty (probably) and attach e-grips tape pads on the back where my thumb rests in the top right corner and on the front right side from mid to bottom where my finger tips rest using a drop of super glue in addition to the regular adhesive. This is made of the same stuff as those dashboard pads that securely hold your phone on the dash. Thinking about that leather case too.......With top removed for shooting, leather sides would give more grip area......Dont'cha think?

My real question concerns my existing Olympus 4/3's DSLR external flash units. Can I use my Olympus FL36 and FL50 flashes on the Panasonic LX3? Saw a write up on the new Panasonic FL22 flash for the LX3 also working (with TTL) on Olympus DSLR's.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by R R Kirsteins View Post
    My real question concerns my existing Olympus 4/3's DSLR external flash units. Can I use my Olympus FL36 and FL50 flashes on the Panasonic LX3? Saw a write up on the new Panasonic FL22 flash for the LX3 also working (with TTL) on Olympus DSLR's.
    Consensus elsewhere (I don't have any Panasonic/Olympus external flashgun so I can't confirm this myself) is that the Olympus FL36 and FL50 are identical to the Panasonic FL360 and FL500 respectively, so both of them should work.

Hope this helps.
    S: Panasonic LX1 and LX3
    M: Konica Minolta Dimage A2
    L: Canon EOS 30D with Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and Sigma 30 f/1.4 HSM
    Zooomr page

Tried it out last night since pin position looks the same. Both the Olympus FL 50 and the FL 36 flash units work in full TTL mode on the Panosonic DMC-LX3 when mounted on the camera's flash shoe............Raymond