Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Grip

Vertical Grip

so anyway i picked one up on Saturday cause the guy at The Sony Store gave me 20% off and an extra battery as well. Got it both for $265 CAD.
    it's not like the A900s VC which does not require you to disassemble the battery door however it is pretty easy to slide the spring and pop it out.

so far i don't know how i did without it, it makes the camera feel much better especially with the flash mounted.
    my pinky had nowhere to rest before the VC now i can rest a 6th finger if i had one.

and i'm shooting more in portrait mode now as opposed to only the handful i ever did without it.

the VC and battery must have been old stock cause the box for the VC listed only A200 and the battery listed only A700. but the part number is the same just in case anyone was wondering or encounter the same issue.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

There's only 1 battery for the A200-900 so it's the right one.

As for the grip, there's only 1 for the A200-350, so the VG-B30AM is correct!

Congrats on the new purchase. I just can't justify the cost myself.

I was thinking of getting a 3rd party one. They have a lot more now lol, some with remote control sensors!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

ok then the A700 is the one that has the different VC then.

my worst fear ever is running out of battery and now i can have 2 plus it makes the whole camera way better i think for stability.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

It takes a long shoot to wipe out a battery in the α700. Actually several. I am pretty impressed with it ... but, I totally agree that a vertical grip makes the camera into a much more "grippable" (a non-word, excuse me) and controllable unit. As much as people complain about an increase in weight ... when it isn't in the lens, but in your fist ... it is much more agreeable.

All my camera bodies have the vertical grip, save one ... the Maxxum 7000 ... which has its film advance and rewind system built in. Now, that puppy could eat some batteries ... 7x 36-shot rolls ... and it was all done! It definitely could have used a "BP."
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i've never killed a battery but since i will be leaving on vacation in the next couple of days....it saves me the hassle of having to take the charger around that often. plus i will need a travel adapter and so on.
    also when i'm using it for my sister's wedding i won't have to worry about how much battery i have left after church before the wedding dinner and so on.

so do any of the 3rd party ones have any additional features other than the remote sensor?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

nope, pretty much just an IR remote shutter release lol
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I shot over four hundred images at a wedding and never came close to killing the battery. I was using the flash most of the time too.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

lol you're not as paranoid as me then:-)
    i charge my cell up every night even though it is 3/4 full.

plus i haven't seen most of my family in over 5 years so i'm sure i'll be taking tonnes of pics.
    i took over 240 pics at the xmas party on Saturday alone and there were only 30 ppl there.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    lol you're not as paranoid as me then:-)
    i charge my cell up every night even though it is 3/4 full.

plus i haven't seen most of my family in over 5 years so i'm sure i'll be taking tonnes of pics.
    i took over 240 pics at the xmas party on Saturday alone and there were only 30 ppl there.
    I charge my phone every night too lol... and it only goes down to 75-80% on an average day.
    flickr

Well, when I consider the larger lenses I have driven with the camera's power ... I really feel that you have little to worry about. The 70-200 and the 200-500 can really gobble some juice ... lesser sized lenses aren't even in the game.

Name:  T200-500-Sony.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  237.3 KB

Like I mentioned, the "full-feel" of a vertical grip gives you the best control on the camera I've ever experienced, short of the grip-strap you can use to "weld" the camera to your hand. That's really nice in large crowds ... when getting jostled is a serious consideration. Of course, I'm no midget. When I enter a crowd ... they are the ones who get jostled. LOL As it should be .... Muahahahahahaha
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi