Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    since the flash is actually parabolic like a flash light, the exact same amount of light is supposed to be flashed towards whatever you aim at regardless if it is the broad end facing you or the skinny end.
    or so Gary Fong says anyway. that is why he developed it to mount on the skinny end cause i guess it easier to do a one size fits all that way rather the designing it for the broad end.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Cool Straight from the manufacturer ... no guessing.

I wrote Gary Fong, Inc., to see what they product they would suggest, after I submitted an image to them of the SONY HVL-F58AM Flash.

Here is the response:

"Below is the answer to the question you recently sent to the Gary Fong, Inc. Support Team. If this response does not answer your question please use the link to update your question so we can take another look into this incident for you.
    ID #5326
    Summary: Using FONG products in concert with the new SONY HVL-F58AM Flash
    Product: <Undefined>
    Created: 12/9/2008 12:45:45 AM
    Updated: 12/9/2008 11:50:07 AM
    URL: http://garyfonginc.CRMdesk.com/threa...8-d8493124a9d3

Robbie - Gary Fong Support 12/9/2008 11:50:07 AM
    Hi Don,

Thanks for writing and providing a reference image.
    As a matter of fact, the Lightsphere will still work with this design of pivoting. The surface area of the Lightsphere is practically the same whether your flash head is turned perpendicular or parallel to your subject. The reason Gary suggests turning the flash initially is so you can easily transition to vertical / portrait mode from a horizontal / landscape. The inside texture of the Lightsphere is what refracts and disperses light evenly. As long as you have the flash head pointing "up" towards the ceiling, the diffuser will still work effectively.

If you have further questions, please us know.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie"

So there you have it ... an official reply.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I wrote Gary Fong, Inc., to see what they product they would suggest, after I submitted an image to them of the SONY HVL-F58AM Flash.

Here is the response:

"Below is the answer to the question you recently sent to the Gary Fong, Inc. Support Team. If this response does not answer your question please use the link to update your question so we can take another look into this incident for you.
    ID #5326
    Summary: Using FONG products in concert with the new SONY HVL-F58AM Flash
    Product: <Undefined>
    Created: 12/9/2008 12:45:45 AM
    Updated: 12/9/2008 11:50:07 AM
    URL: http://garyfonginc.CRMdesk.com/threa...8-d8493124a9d3

Robbie - Gary Fong Support 12/9/2008 11:50:07 AM
    Hi Don,

Thanks for writing and providing a reference image.
    As a matter of fact, the Lightsphere will still work with this design of pivoting. The surface area of the Lightsphere is practically the same whether your flash head is turned perpendicular or parallel to your subject. The reason Gary suggests turning the flash initially is so you can easily transition to vertical / portrait mode from a horizontal / landscape. The inside texture of the Lightsphere is what refracts and disperses light evenly. As long as you have the flash head pointing "up" towards the ceiling, the diffuser will still work effectively.

If you have further questions, please us know.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie"

So there you have it ... an official reply.
    thanks, so....

What are they recommending that will fit?

There is some discussion here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_al...7608186687592/

I'll stick with my omni-bounce for now at least. The GF Lightpshere's are ridiculously expensive for a clear cup (can make your own) and I don't have a use for it.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hey ... okay ... just thought I would throw a couple gallons of fuel into the discussion.

What you guys do with the resulting fire is your decision. Thus ends my contribution.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi