Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Diffuser/Omni-bounce for HVL-F58AM??

I was looking around for an omni-bounce or flash diffuser for my recently purchased 58. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions...I will probably ask for it for Christmas so I kind of need to come up with something quick. My main use would be for indoor w/ high ceilings or outdoors when somewhat dark. I also take quite a few portraits of me and my wife outside.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a wireless remote/shutter release I could buy for my Sony a-100?

Thanks,
    Chris

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jcray19 View Post
    I was looking around for an omni-bounce or flash diffuser for my recently purchased 58. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions...I will probably ask for it for Christmas so I kind of need to come up with something quick. My main use would be for indoor w/ high ceilings or outdoors when somewhat dark. I also take quite a few portraits of me and my wife outside.
    I've been using the Fong "WhaleTail", but it may not be a good selection for the '58 flash.

Name:  WT+HVL-F56AM.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  208.0 KB

You could use a white index card and a rubber band. It has worked in the past ... try it ... it is cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jcray19 View Post
    Speaking of which, does anyone know of a wireless remote/shutter release I could buy for my Sony a-100?
    I was hoping PocketWizard might offfer this release but they have not made one. I was thinking of buying the electronic release and cross-wiring it to work with the generic plug-in port for the Pocket Wizard, but that is still off in the future. I still use a 16-foot wired release.

Name:  RC-1000-16ft.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  14.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I have been looking for one as well.
    any thoughts of the Gary Fong Origami diffuser?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Gary Fong and HVL-F58AM

See this

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_al...7608691933131/

I think Lumiquest makes good products and they have been around for as long as I can remember.
    http://www.lumiquest.com/
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

I have the omni-bounce specifically made for the F58AM. Maybe it's just me and not knowing how to use it, but I can't seem to get good results with it. Make's lighting look unnatural as compared with bouncing it straight up on the ceiling.

Don any tips on using it to make it look better? I probably should put the flash in manual and just tone down the flash, but bouncing it straight up to the ceiling on auto (TTL) does a great job.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

so anyway i went out and bought the Gary Fong Origami Flash Bounce Diffuser and here are the results with the Opaque filter and the Warming filter:

Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Elisha, It's clear that the second Image is better exposed but what happened to the skin tones?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Any shots without the diffuser? They look very well lit and the background is nice and light too!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

sorry none without the diffuser. I would guess it would look like the first but brighter. The second is more natural since the lighting in the room was dim and amber.
    i was also using AWB.
    the diffuser was last minute purchase and i drove to the party not really knowing how to use it. since the instruction leaflet was only showing how to mount it.
    anyway i took over 200 pics and was satisfied with over most of them.

you can view some of them on my FB album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=518211742

you can clearly notice i was playing with the flap.
    Last edited by Elisha; 12-07-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Elisha,
    Do you have the Origami on the 58, or is it a different flash?

Chris