Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Good resource for the transition from Point N Shoot to DSLR?

Well, I've just made the leap beyond a Point N Shoot and got the Canon XSi SLR (with the the kit and a Canon 250 telephoto lenses). Cant wait 'til the arrive tomorrow (hopefully!).

While I consider myself a capable photographer, I've never really played around with much other than the automatic settings on my many cameras. Obviously, there's no point in getting a DSLR if I'm going to continue to do that.

Thought I'd just ask if anyone has a favorite "introduction to DSLRs" tutorial/resource (be it online, a book or a DVD/Video). Obviously, these forums are of great help, but think I want to start off with something more didactic.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    Well, I've just made the leap beyond a Point N Shoot and got the Canon XSi SLR (with the the kit and a Canon 250 telephoto lenses). Cant wait 'til the arrive tomorrow (hopefully!).

While I consider myself a capable photographer, I've never really played around with much other than the automatic settings on my many cameras. Obviously, there's no point in getting a DSLR if I'm going to continue to do that.

Thought I'd just ask if anyone has a favorite "introduction to DSLRs" tutorial/resource (be it online, a book or a DVD/Video). Obviously, these forums are of great help, but think I want to start off with something more didactic.

Thanks!
    I learned a lot from this site, check the right side menu called "Digital Photography Tips":

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 35mm/1.4L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 135mm/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson.

It's always quoted as the answer to your question. A good read from basic principles up. Get it early in your learning experience.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

For basic tutorials try the Canon web site, they have a mix-media tutorial that is very basic at first and progresses to more detailed info.
    http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/part1/1B.html
    There are lots of more technical tutorials on the web via a Google search and there are commercial DVD tutorials like one offered by Nikon, plus the book publishing industry has hundreds of titles in print. I know the small mom&pop camera store where I bought my D90 had an extensive collection of specialty books on photography. At least 12 on lighting alone. Nikon has a popular traveling live workshop that visits major cities that would be good to attend, but there is a attendence fee.
    The Canon on-line tutorial is very nicely done and starts at a very basic level but speeds up in with more detailed info is later sections.

Thanks, all -- those are all great suggestions.
    I'll be standing by the front door with my nose pressed against the glass, waiting for UPS to show up today...

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    Thanks, all -- those are all great suggestions.
    I'll be standing by the front door with my nose pressed against the glass, waiting for UPS to show up today...
    Been there done that, enjoy the new toy.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Heh, i'll be doing that monday morning, they are supposed to deliver my white paper roll for my new studio frame.

9 feet of seamless super white. Cant wait