Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what is the best dslr under 1k

I need help eed some opinion interested in pic quality

Millz:

You might be asking yourself: "why haven't I received any responses to my query?"

Or, you may have already determined for yourself that you have asked what amounts to an impossible question to answer. To the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the currently available digital SLRs are excellent. The fact some people prefer a particular brand or model is based on any number of reasons - which may or may not have any particular import to you. For example, I own a Canon 20D and a Canon 5D SLR. My reason for choosing Canon was based on having four Canon lenses that were purchased for use with a Canon film SLR. I happen to think that Canon produces very fine cameras. I also believe that so does Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and others.

I realize that you may view this as a non-answer, but it really is the best that I can do.

Have a good day.
    Respectfully,

Mike Sneddon
    Mattoon, IL USA

Canon SD1000, S3, 20D & 5D; Panasonic LX2. Canon lenses: 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 IS Also have two film cameras: Canon Elan 7E and a Yashica TL Super (which I purchased in Vietnam in 1969 for $106).

And besides, your choice of lenses probably is more important for image quality then the DSLR body in the long run.

Explain what you want to do, what you know about photography, and how much you are willing to spend.

shots of my kids, boy playing sports, we go to disney alot will take pics of the parades at night also fireworks the buildings and so on. Most of it will be for my kids etc we go on vacation alot just want quality photos. Was looking at the a350 sony trying to figure out if one lense from 18 - 250 is good so i dont have to carry 2 lense or do i need a 18-70 then 70 - 250 or 300. my experience is novice my wife and i enjoy taking pics but never had a good camera. As you can see i need alot of help

In short, yes, having 2 lenses is probably what you'll need. I'd recommend a wide-angle to medium zoom lens first as most of your shots will be taken with this lens. Unless of course your son plays a lot of sports and you're always capturing sports photos of him, if that is the case then I'd get the telephoto.
    Body: Canon 50D
    Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM,
    Pocket Cam: Canon SD1100is

canon xsi + canon 18-200IS would be my choice for under the $1k mark. as long as you understand that with any "superzoom" lens you buy there is a comprimise in image quality to get the extra range flexibility.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I agree that the lenses are more important than the body for getting good photos. Even here, though, all the manufacturers produces similar quality lenses at all levels. There are advantages to certain lines. For instance, if you want pro quality lenses that are not as heavy as the f2.8 behemoths, Canon makes a series of f4 lenses. However, even for these, you are beyond your current budget.

What you are looking for is a kit that will provide you with the focal range necessary for all your immediate shooting needs. In that regard, the first thing you should do is go to a real camera store. Since you go to Disneyland a lot, I know you can find Santa Ana, where resides Samy's Camera (I'm not suggesting the place for any other reason than they carry a wide range of brands, so purists - back off. I understand. )

There, you will want to spend a significant amount of time handling each of the brands that you are interested in, to get a feel for what works best for you. For instance, Canon consumer models are too small for my hands and are just uncomfortable to shoot with. But other people like them just fine. That's why you absolutely have to do this. The Canon cameras are fine, but they don't suit me. For you, they may be perfect.

Once you choose a brand, then you can start to research what lenses you need. Based on your budget, you are probably going to want the basic kit lens and at least a moderate telephoto. In Nikons D40/D60 line, that would be an 18-55 and 55-200. I would suggest you get the image stabilized versions, if possible. This can delay your need for a tripod, something you will want to get, but your budget doesn't allow for at this time. An alternative to the 55-200 would be a 70-300. There are also some 55-250s now, in some brands. Avoid super zooms. You can always buy one later as a convenience lens, when your budget allows, but the 18-200+ range lenses have significant image quality compromises.

Remember, your budget needs to allow for memory card(s), spare battery (a really good idea), external flash (recommended, but like the tripod, can be delayed), and storage (bag). I like the sling bags, but you will have to decide what fits your needs. The LowePro AW100 sling bag is probably the perfect size for your initial system, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

I liked the features and price of the Canon 450D (Xsi ) and still think it is a great buy. i spent a lot of time reading up on features and terms for DSLRs since my purchase 6 weeks ago was going to be my first DSLR after being out of photography for 25 years. A lot has changed, mostly for the better.
    I did not buy the Canon however, not because it wasn't a very good camera with lots of desirable features but because I finally went to a camera store and just played with several models from several brands. The store, Action Camera in Roseville Ca, is one of those small family owned hobbyist/pro shops where people just hang out talking shop and discussing their techniques. My budget was a little less than yours so I was going to be limited to the kit lens.
    I forgot all about specs and weeks of comparing features on the internet instantly when I had the various cameras in my hand. I immediatlely bought the Nikon D90 just because it felt like a solid tool that was an extention of my hand. Everything felt familiar and perfectly placed despite not ever having used a digital SLR before. It was above my self imposed budget. Any purchase is emotional primarily, but many of us spend a lot of time justifying or rationalizing the decision our emotions have already picked.
    Go play with the choices in person, if the Canon feels right for you, particularly if you have smaller hands, get it, you will not be disappointed. But try the Sony, Pentax, Nikon and Olympus in the same prices ranges, one of them will tell you not to go home without it, sort of like visiting an animal shelter looking for a puppy...one of them will just speak to you. With none of these camera, the camera will not be the limiting factor in getting esthetically pleasing photos or even truly artistic photos. The limiting factor will only be you. Any lens offered in the kit will also be just fine when used appropriately. I have been very pleased with the 18-105VR kit lens with my D90. Sure I will get others (already got a 50mm fast prime) but 80% of my shots have been with the zoom.
    Pouring over catalogs and forums looking for that one last accessory that will make all the difference never ends, that why it is such a long lasting hobby...no set up is ever complete. "All would be perfect if only I had ...[fill in the blank]".
    Have fun

My highest recommendation is the Olympus E-520 with the f/2.8-3.5 14-54mm and f/4-5.6 70-300mm lenses. It has an equivalent reach of 28-600mm, or 21.4x zoom (slight gap in the middle). Plus, the wide aperture of f/2.8 is useful for night shots. Both lenses are of extraordinary optical quality particularly for the price, and the 14-54 is solidly constructed and sealed against dust and wetness. It'd cost $1100 (online), but the closest equivalent of other brands would be more like $1900.

Though as noted above, the camera that feels best to you is best, try them all out first.

I'd find a refurbished Nikon D80 or Canon 30D for about $700-$800 and include a decent lens - like Nikkor 18-70mm or Canon 18-55 IS.

Or I'd get an Olympus E-1 and the 14-54mm lens and shoot in the rain with impunity, also for under $1000 total.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars