Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 73 of 337 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Cool A parting shot ...

Here's another peek at the Tauraco ... darting in and snarfin' off with a chunk of the parrot's feed. Food, the great natural motivator, eh?

Name:  DSC00688 a-small.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  96.5 KB
    EXIF: A700 v. 04w/ TAMRON SP AF 200-500m f/5-6.3 Di LD
    @ 200mm - f/7.1 - 1/10 sec. - ISO-800 - Spot Meter - Spot Focus - Manual - Handheld - Ambient lighting (diffused skylight)

Last edited by DonSchap; 03-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Rooz, I may be being thick here, but I don't see it.
    If I'm in Manual mode it's because I have a specific reason for not wanting the camera to change the exposure.
    If the AutoIso is in operation it will change it, and that's not what I want.
    Right?
    if you have time to set up and adjust for every shot, then yes i agree auto iso wont be necessary. however, if you are shootin quite a few shots and he light is variable as you or the subject are moving around, then thats where it becomes important.

shooting in manual mode means you must adjust for the changing light every time the subject moves. this is not necessary with auto iso. in Ap mode its obviously more useful, but i find myself using it in manual mode aswell if i dont want my shutter speed to blow out to 1/4000s for example when people are moving between sunlight and shade.

if you dont need it, you just switch it off. to me, if a manufacturer is going to give us a feature like this i find it incredibley frustrating and stupid that they would put parameters on it so they tell ME how to use it by crippling its use. if you give me the feature, let me decide how to use it. this is a bit of a case of ticking a box by sony. they can tick a box to say "i have auto-iso too", but its such a substandard version its not comparing like for like. sony's next gen cameras need to sort this kind of thing out if they are truly going to be competetive at the mid-top end.
    Last edited by Rooz; 03-08-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Birds of a feather?

One of the usual aspects of remotely snapping the bird feeders is that you get all sorts of hungry raptors winging it in for a feed. The Sparrows and House Finches (Thanks, Jim) are the more popular of the attendees, but among them is a rather distinct looking one ... who looks like nature could not decide if he was a cardinal or a finch ... so Mother Nature split the difference.

Here is a gang Chomp of Sparrows:
    Name:  wren-gang.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  449.2 KB

and their lil off-color friend.
    Name:  lil-red-wren.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  388.6 KB

and here you can plainly see the strange red colored body to the female version.
    Name:  red-wrens-backside.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  274.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

House Finch in fact the last photo is a pair, put out some thistle or nyjer seed, you'll see more. Maybe even attract some gold finches.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Finch
    Last edited by TenD; 03-08-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I see ... the male has all the real color ... makes sense. My welcome to the world of birds, eh? Thanks, Jim.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 07:02 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Not bad Don.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

GREAT CRESTED GREBE

Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
    Lens: Minolta 28-135mm f4/4.5
    Exposure: 1/250th
    Aperture: f6.3
    Focal Length: 135mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Date: 11th February 2009
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I see ... the male has all the real color ... makes sense. My welcome to the world of birds, eh? Thanks, Ernest.
    Sorry I didn't mean to mislead. The first photo looks to be common House Sparrows. The second, a male House Finch, the third a pair of House Finches. I am a displaced midwesterner and I remember those birds from when I lived there.

Oh and BTW, my quote is not mine but from an author who wrote several aviation novels.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_K._Gann

My name is Jim.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Here's another peek at the Tauraco ... darting in and snarfin' off with a chunk of the parrot's feed. Food, the great natural motivator, eh?
    Don, you never had a hope of getting this shot without a tripod. I'm assuming you know that and were simply caught with the wrong lens on camera. For the benefit of the less experienced who may be reading this thread....

The shot was hand held at a focal length of 200mm and generally help principles dictate that a shutter of 1/200th (the reciprocal of the "f number") would be required to take the shot. The "Anti shake" will help by a couple of stops meaning you'll probably get away with 1/50th sec and if you're young and have a very good technique (and maybe something to lean on) you may get down to 1/25, but don't hold your breath (correction, "Do hold your breath"). Anyway, that shutter speed may just about work for a static subject but is optimistic for a bird, even stood still it will usually jerk it's head about. I'd be looking for 1/125th or better. With people shots you'll get away with 1/50th especially if they are aware and posed.

For the next few days I'll post some images from my resent vacation. This first one is Diamondheand at dawn.

Camera Make: SONY
    Camera Model: DSLR-A700
    Image Date: 2009:02:16 12:16:01
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 40.0mm (35mm equivalent: 60mm)
    Exposure Time: 5.000 s
    Aperture: f/2.8
    ISO equiv: 200
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
    Last edited by Tom F; 03-09-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro