Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 72 of 337 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Red face The Flash!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    apparently in the sony forum, Don is the ONLY one who is allowed to give critique. lol
    Nah ... have fun as you wish, we all come freely.

Here's the "Red Blur" (aka "Smallville's Hero") ... this bird makes my head spin.

Name:  the-Red-Blur.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  442.0 KB
    EXIF: A700 v. 04 w/ TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD
    @ 200mm - f/7.1 - 1/10 sec. - ISO-800 - Spot Meter - Spot Focus - M Mode - Tripod - Diffused Skylight

Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Truck In the Mulch
    Sony A300
    Sony 55-200 lens
    ISO 400
    1/320
    f5.6

Question What do ya mean winter's over?

Got this big fellow on Friday ... and the weather was nearly 70-degrees. Spring is trying real hard to show up ...

Name:  what-winters-over.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  336.6 KB
    EXIF: A700 v. 04 w/ TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD MACRO
    @ 200mm - f/11 - 1/60 sec. - ISO-400 - Spot Meter - Spot Focus - Handheld - WB=Daylight - M Mode

Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Hmm... I shoot an awful lot in A and S modes. A lot of the time I just don't have time to swap around much. I'm sure it helps that the A700 has two real wheels. I wonder how long until they put a third wheel on the high end cameras for ISO.

I wish we had ISO range on the A300. I can't remember if the A700 has it or not, and I think either Canon or Nikon has it, but I don't remember which. Where you just dial in I am willing to go between ISO 200-800, and the camera handles the rest, instead of the Auto mode my camera has where its just 100-400.
    Jason, I'm not quite sure what you meant (I'm not sure about some of the other comment either), so in clarification as I see it.

On the A700, ISO selection is by a button press on top of the camera and rotatation of a "Command" wheel. The front wheel changes ISO in full 100's (200, 400, 800....) and the rear wheel changes it in 1/3EV steps (200, 250, 320, 400.....). You can also use the Quick Menu Function.

Auto ISO has a selectable lower limit of 200 or 400 and a selectable upper limit of 400, 800 or 1600.
    Although I don't use the autoiso setting myself (so far), I believe it selects the higher ISOs by broadly following the "reciprocal rule" for the focal length in use. I've heard it takes no account of SSS being on or off, which is odd if correct.

Auto ISO is not available in Manual mode. How could it be?

BTW, I invariably choose "A" or "P" mode with occasional use of Manual for specific occasions.

Although I don't use the autoiso setting myself (so far), I believe it selects the higher ISOs by broadly following the "reciprocal rule" for the focal length in use. I've heard it takes no account of SSS being on or off, which is odd if correct.
    this is a strange application of this feature. auto iso should in theory simply operate off the cameras meter by selecting the value needed to complete the correct exposure trinity. this sounds to be too much of a crippled system, (1600 max in auto is lame aswell), which is probably why you dont hear anyone using a sony talk about it.

Auto ISO is not available in Manual mode. How could it be?
    it can be and should be. if i want to select the shutter speed and aperture i want to use for a photo in varied light conditions expecially, i set it to manual, select my shutter speed and aperture values and then ask the auto iso to bump up the iso only if i need it to. when you're shoting real quick and dont have alot of time to change settings, this is a key feature.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Don that's a great shot. I never seem to get great photos of Polar Bears. For one, it's too easy to overexpose when the sun is directly hitting them.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    ....it can be and should be. if i want to select the shutter speed and aperture i want to use for a photo in varied light conditions expecially, i set it to manual, select my shutter speed and aperture values and then ask the auto iso to bump up the iso only if i need it to. when you're shoting real quick and dont have alot of time to change settings, this is a key feature.
    Rooz, I may be being thick here, but I don't see it.
    If I'm in Manual mode it's because I have a specific reason for not wanting the camera to change the exposure.
    If the AutoIso is in operation it will change it, and that's not what I want.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    Don that's a great shot. I never seem to get great photos of Polar Bears. For one, it's too easy to overexpose when the sun is directly hitting them.
    I noted and made use of the shadows the surrounding trees were placing on his head. I took several shots, as he turned it back and forth. From those, I selected this one, having the most "natural" contrast. Rarely, can you get it all correct, in just one shot, and then just walk away. Digital Imaging offers you reasonably unlimited image recording, so you have the luxury of "getting it right", if you take a little more time during the shoot, rather than trifling with it, afterwards. Animals, as we all know, rarely do what you tell them. So, it is "luck of the draw", more often than not.

Thanks for picking up on that, though. I figure a little more explanation was due because they are so hard to image, in the bright sun.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2009 at 10:05 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Question Homemade subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldorey View Post

Truck In the Mulch
    Sony A300
    Sony 55-200 lens
    ISO 400
    1/320
    f5.6
    This wouldn't be a "Pinewood Derby" entry, would it? Somehow, those wheels look quite similarly spaced. Good use of DOF on this image.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    This wouldn't be a "Pinewood Derby" entry, would it? Somehow, those wheels look quite similarly spaced. Good use of DOF on this image.
    no, Its a solar power lawn ornament; its headlights and cab light up at night.