Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 71 of 337 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
    I suppose you're playing around with DOF and now its pretty narrow and the ears are OOF.
    Ok you're on f2 at 1/20th so
    switch to Manual Mode and go to f5.6 at 1/20th
    pop the flash up, select manual flash and dial the power right down (1/16)
    you're quite close so you might have to play around with the aperture a bit to correct the exposure.
    See where that gets you. Oh, and get rid of the gizmo behind the dog.

BTW I'm no flash expert so someone else may have a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Iwas going for speed to catch "Mrs. Chicken's" wings a flappin' ... and while I was waiting ... in vain, I turned and took this guy.

As noted, in the past, on the A700, ISO-800 is truly "doable" without suffering the same noise-issue the lesser models do. Anyway ... it worked for this one.
    noise is not, (or shouldn't be), a cause for conern at iso800 when you have enough light to shoot at 1/500s.

nice looking bird and the background sets it off perfectly. i think you missed it by a fraction, his foreground feathers look more in focus than his head.

not quite sure why you're using 2.8 here. f4 would have given you a smidge more focus on the bird giving you more leeway for slight user error, you're still shooting at a high 1/250s, iso stays the same and the background wouldnt have changed much at all.

do you have auto iso on the a700 ? f4, 1/200s and iso640 may have been the best comprimise.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

ISO-AUTO is not available in MANUAL Mode. You do have to choose.

Now, if you are using AUTO, P, A, or S Modes you can select it. These are not modes I am crazy about using and if they were not on my camera ... I would probably feel no pain. Everyone has there preferred way or comfort zone.

Anyway, thanks for the comments on POTD ... while normally not the "critique zone", it has, apparently, become one. Oh well ... let me say I'll invite C & C if I feel uncomfortable with what I shove in it. Please, don't feel obligated to offer it.

Thanks
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hmm... I shoot an awful lot in A and S modes. A lot of the time I just don't have time to swap around much. I'm sure it helps that the A700 has two real wheels. I wonder how long until they put a third wheel on the high end cameras for ISO.

I wish we had ISO range on the A300. I can't remember if the A700 has it or not, and I think either Canon or Nikon has it, but I don't remember which. Where you just dial in I am willing to go between ISO 200-800, and the camera handles the rest, instead of the Auto mode my camera has where its just 100-400.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

i think one of the scene modes allows Auto ISO to go up to 800. not sure which one but i'm guessing the night portrait mode.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Anyway, thanks for the comments on POTD ... while normally not the "critique zone", it has, apparently, become one. Oh well ... let me say I'll invite C & C if I feel uncomfortable with what I shove in it. Please, don't feel obligated to offer it.

Thanks
    to the contrary, POTD should be all about C&C. how else do we improve or get other ideas off people ? if all POTD is about is to post pictures then how is anyone expected to grow ? you really have this photography thing ass about face. if you dont want C&C i suggest you add a line in your sig. something like this:

"No C&C on my photos please. i never make mistakes and if on he rare chance i do, i'd prefer to be ignorant of both the mistake and how to make it better next time."
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Hmm... I shoot an awful lot in A and S modes. A lot of the time I just don't have time to swap around much. I'm sure it helps that the A700 has two real wheels. I wonder how long until they put a third wheel on the high end cameras for ISO.

I wish we had ISO range on the A300. I can't remember if the A700 has it or not, and I think either Canon or Nikon has it, but I don't remember which. Where you just dial in I am willing to go between ISO 200-800, and the camera handles the rest, instead of the Auto mode my camera has where its just 100-400.
    nikon have had it for ages and canon just whacked it in their bodies. it should work in any mode, someone should check that out on the a700, i;d be surprised if it didnt work in manual mode.

basically what you do is set your minimum shutter speed and your maximum iso and the camera does th rest for iso. for scenes of changing light and really fast adjustments its invaluable.
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post

"No C&C on my photos please. i never make mistakes and if on he rare chance i do, i'd prefer to be ignorant of both the mistake and how to make it better next time."
    You forgot the
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Well, thanks for the discussion ... in the middle of POTD. If you feel so provoked, start another thread addressing the point and see who participates. There are aspects that simply do not qualify for the "you got to be kidding ... they are being that touchy?"

"M" (Manual) Mode in the A700 does not have AUTO ISO ... it is grayed out, so you need to just accept it and dance on down the road. Do you think I am just putting this out for fun? It has been researched. Heck, I have the camera right in front of me. Buy one and see for yourself.

In the A700, ISO-AUTO has upper and lower limits to it, but the menu is only offered in the following Modes: P, A, & S

Upper limits are: 400, 800, & 1600

Lower limits are: 200, 400
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-07-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

apparently in the sony forum, Don is the ONLY one who is allowed to give critique. lol
    flickr