Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 337 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Thanks guys. Just wanted to try a different frame for the classic moon shot. Beats the boring, dead center black surrounding moon picture.

Bob, wow! That's cool. Did you hold your camera up to the eye piece? Isn't the lens too big to see anything? I guess you cropped a lot...?

I like this picture:

would be killer with some fill flash! Were you out camping or was this something you just walked by?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Endorsing what's been said, there're some great shots appearing in this thread.

I particulary liked the moon shots. I know Bob used a telescope but how about you, Dr4gon. If that was the Tamron at 300 it must be a big crop and even more commendable. I've yet to get a moon shot that's a keeper.

I also agree about Bob's "Sharm el Sheikh" shot. It's only just short of being a great pic. Did you bracket Bob? If not I think it can still be rescued in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Endorsing what's been said, there're some great shots appearing in this thread.

I particulary liked the moon shots. I know Bob used a telescope but how about you, Dr4gon. If that was the Tamron at 300 it must be a big crop and even more commendable. I've yet to get a moon shot that's a keeper.

I also agree about Bob's "Sharm el Sheikh" shot. It's only just short of being a great pic. Did you bracket Bob? If not I think it can still be rescued in PS.
    It can still be rescued for sure in PS.

I used the Tamron 70-200 at 200, let me go back and add the EXIF
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thanks again for the feeback guys, it's really appreciated.

With the moon shot I was on a 'stargazing' evening deep into the desert where the guides had several telescopes of varying power set up and focused onto different entities. We could see a dying red dwarf star called 'the rainbow star' due to the colours it gives off in its corona (think that's the term). Anyway it was beautiful and weird at the same time as the image we were seeing was something like 300 years old due to the distance between us. Also we could see Jupiter and four of its many moons; it was so clear that the huge hurricane 'red dot' was visible, but I couldn't for the life of me get a decent picture of it. The moon shot was a lot easier as the image within the telescope itself was a lot bigger. As you say I just held the camera up to the eyepiece and hoped for the best :s !! It looked excellent on the camera's small screen but not so good on a bigger screen I thought lol. I haven't cropped a picture in my entire life!! Firstly I don't have the software and secondly I wouldn't know how even if I did!!

The three men in the second picture are Bedouin tribesmen, nomadic indigenous people of the desert - although somewhat less nomadic and more technologically advanced these days than their forefathers!! The guy in the middle is tossing traditional unlevened bread which is cooked on the metal covering over the fire in the middle of the picture. I had the pleasure of being their guest for dinner that evening where we ate freshly slaughtered lamb, cooked on the bone in the ground surrounded my hot rocks, very herby salads, Egyptian rice and of course, freshly cooked bread!! Afterwards we smoked Shisha water pipes, drank Habbach tea (good for stomach the with a very strange taste; that's what's in the three pots by the fire) and then did some drumming together with furious clapping and dancing. I've got a picture of that somewhere that I'll try to find.

I have no idea what bracketing is so I guess the answer is no, I didn't bracket!! Thanks for the tip with the flash - it's really something I've struggled to get to use well to be honest. I just can't seem to get it to work the way I'd like it to. The pictures always look too dark or unnaturally bright with an unpleasant shine to them

If any of you guys could use PS to carry out the functions you've described then I would be very interested in seeing it.

Tonight I've been trying to take pictures of... incense smoke!! Very, very difficult indeed but I'm learning loads about the camera and what it can do. I think an external flash would be of great help however, although I'm improvising with a lamp to the side of the smoke source at the moment.

Thank you again for taking time to look at my pictures.
    Last edited by BobJohnson; 12-13-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Bob, I'd be happy do some PP on it with PS. I think you're in the UK as well so that could be handy. I'll send you a private message.

soooo Bob drinking tea, eating tajeek, smoking shisha pipes in the Egyptian desert, tonight your trying to capture incense smoke pictures, so my friends do you happen to play the sitar also, and what band were you in or did you work for in the 70's LOL very very cool photos, and ideas, well done, looking forward to more posts Bob, now I'm off to find my charcoal tablets and incense resins. I wonder if you darkened the room and then 'uplit' from the floor if you could get some nice smoke shots by shooting across the light rising up through the smoke?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post
    Thanks again for the feeback guys, it's really appreciated.

With the moon shot I was on a 'stargazing' evening deep into the desert where the guides had several telescopes of varying power set up and focused onto different entities. We could see a dying red dwarf star called 'the rainbow star' due to the colours it gives off in its corona (think that's the term). Anyway it was beautiful and weird at the same time as the image we were seeing was something like 300 years old due to the distance between us. Also we could see Jupiter and four of its many moons; it was so clear that the huge hurricane 'red dot' was visible, but I couldn't for the life of me get a decent picture of it. The moon shot was a lot easier as the image within the telescope itself was a lot bigger. As you say I just held the camera up to the eyepiece and hoped for the best :s !! It looked excellent on the camera's small screen but not so good on a bigger screen I thought lol. I haven't cropped a picture in my entire life!! Firstly I don't have the software and secondly I wouldn't know how even if I did!!

The three men in the second picture are Bedouin tribesmen, nomadic indigenous people of the desert - although somewhat less nomadic and more technologically advanced these days than their forefathers!! The guy in the middle is tossing traditional unlevened bread which is cooked on the metal covering over the fire in the middle of the picture. I had the pleasure of being their guest for dinner that evening where we ate freshly slaughtered lamb, cooked on the bone in the ground surrounded my hot rocks, very herby salads, Egyptian rice and of course, freshly cooked bread!! Afterwards we smoked Shisha water pipes, drank Habbach tea (good for stomach the with a very strange taste; that's what's in the three pots by the fire) and then did some drumming together with furious clapping and dancing. I've got a picture of that somewhere that I'll try to find.

I have no idea what bracketing is so I guess the answer is no, I didn't bracket!! Thanks for the tip with the flash - it's really something I've struggled to get to use well to be honest. I just can't seem to get it to work the way I'd like it to. The pictures always look too dark or unnaturally bright with an unpleasant shine to them

If any of you guys could use PS to carry out the functions you've described then I would be very interested in seeing it.

Tonight I've been trying to take pictures of... incense smoke!! Very, very difficult indeed but I'm learning loads about the camera and what it can do. I think an external flash would be of great help however, although I'm improvising with a lamp to the side of the smoke source at the moment.

Thank you again for taking time to look at my pictures.
    I saw some really impressive shots on flickr today with smoke. Ah here it is....

Check these out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sologen...7611123523131/

You definitely do need an external flash and you could probably use his EXIF as a guide:

Taken with a Nikon D300.

* Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100) [+]
    * Aperture: f/8 [+]
    * Focal Length: 105 mm [+]
    * ISO Speed: 200 [+]
    * Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV [+]
    * Flash: Flash fired [+]
    I'd love to see your results!
    flickr

lol I'd love to play the sitar but have you seen how long it takes to learn how to do it? Something like 18 years training?! I've done some DJing around festivals in the UK but instrument wise, I'm retarded I used to go to a Roman Catholic school and at the age of around 7 they were choosing who would be allowed to play musical instruments such as violins and piano. Because I'd missed mass that weekend the head nun told me I wouldn't be allowed to learn an instrument. I resent her to this day as a result. I don't hold grudges really, but she was wicked in so many other ways as well!! I was only born in 1979 so I wasn't working for anyone around that time lol.

I'll hold off any smoke pictures until I get that external flash I think. The results thus far haven't exactly been 'smoking' but thank you for the EXIF info from the pictures you found.

Can't find the exif, but I remember it was with the Tamron 70-300mm probably at around 200-300mm and is one of my favorite shots with that lens.

It was way above my head at this gazebo sitting area in front of a pond at a local library.
    flickr

Nice one dr4gon. Do you reckon your Bee would get eaten by one of these?

BLUE TITS

Camera: Sony DSLR-A700
    Lens: Konica Minolta 28-135mm f4/4.5
    Exposure: 1/250th sec
    Aperture: f/5.6 +1.3EV
    Focal Length: 135 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Date: 10 December 2008
    Attached Images Attached Images