Though I'd share this from my Holidays.
    It's the Cathedral in Pistoia, a regional Capital in Tuscany, Italy
    From before I had the A700 (Fuji s7500)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    You just need your own sword, Dr4gon!

Attachment 43253
    Click on image ...
    A (good) lens is mightier than the sword! hahaa I couldn't resist.... but lol I had no idea they made such things, that's pretty expensive. I guess it's like those replicas of the lightsabers.

Peter, great shots, I bet you wish you had your A700! ... don't we all.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Good job correcting the view of your first shot, Peek. Gives it a "snappier" appearance and presentation, eh?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hi, my name is Jeff and im a newbie to this site. I came across it while searching for lens' (something with a low f# for taking low light pictures..any ideas)

I have been lurking for a little bit and decided to join. B.T.W., i have an Alpha a100 with some big lens that came with it.

Moonflower from my 'garden' back in August 08

My 2.5 year old daughter Mackenzie.

Thanks for looking!
    Jeff
    Last edited by bigw00dy; 01-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Welcome Jeff and thanks for participating. This group definitely enjoys "new blood", as it were, to exchange ideas and assist in making all of us better photographers ... armed with SONY equipment.

The first thing, though, is identifying what you have to get a better idea of how to offer ideas and constructive critique, based on the limitations of equipment you are using. "Some big lens" is a little too vague to be of much value. Identifying the SONY A100 was definitely useful, though.

Please examine the lens you have mounted and try to identify it as best you can. If you look at the "sticky" thread (first posting in the listing) of this forum, you should get an idea of how these lens are identified.

Use this link to get to a more "on topic" thread. Read down to post #15 ... to pick this up. Thanks
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Speaking of swords and blades, dr4gon you need to get one that is YOU a symbol of you and your style so to speak LOL anyway don and I have talked edged weapons a bit before so he might find this interesting also. This is a link to a true bladesmith EVERYTHING he does is hand forged and hand made, amazing pieces, and you will PAY and I mean PAY for a custom piece. Don check out the pattern welded work he does. i have been reading Jim's stuff on and off for several years.
    http://www.atar.com/old/index.php?&MMN_position=1:1
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Sean, I can easily sense how this could get quite costly. Sorry to hear about his accident. Another bladesmithing friend of mine also struggles with infirmity. What is about this art that takes 'em out? Not too many of these craftsmen left.

I would love to remake my bowie design with the improperly termed "Damascus" pattern steel. In retrospect, that really was the final goal after the prototypes were created. Again ... prohibitive costs -> $$$
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-02-2009 at 11:52 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Good job correcting the view of your first shot, Peek. Gives it a "snappier" appearance and presentation, eh?
    It's a long old job, but someone's gotta do it.
    Some things you just got to leave alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Red face The best form of flattery?

Show off! Wandering around Pisa, Italy, huh? We have one of those (smaller though), just down the street from me, in Niles, Illinois.
    It's made out of concrete ... not quarried stone. Tell the Italians it's a lot cheaper.

Name:  leaningTowerNiles.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  195.9 KB

Now get this ... they built it to look like that! And that woeful reflecting pool ... a waste of time.
    The "Bell Tower" would have to be ONLY thirty feet tall to make use of it. LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-02-2009 at 12:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

How much do you suppose they spent to 'engineer' the lean into it so it would be safe and sound? Don I have also wondered about all the things that seem to befall the hand craft masters and smiths, I can see nerve damage etc. from the firm gripping and twisting on the hands and wrists, shock impact from 'hammering' Some of those guys that do 'old school' bluing with charcoal, or open mix things into hot metal such as nickel, Fe oxide, etc, can't be good to breathe it in. A general rule of thumb take the price of the knife/sword add $100.00 to it then add $100.00 a inch for pattern weld aka 'damascus' 21 inch short sword already adds up pretty quick. What Jim does is a art, unfortunatley it seems to be a dying art.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/