Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 337 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. It brings up about 50 composition questions I have, but I'll try to keep it short.

I looked at this from a rule of thirds prospective. I put the monument in the left third, hill in the bottom, and left the sky as the rest. I certainly should have cropped out the top, but what makes the hill bad, and not a boarder? Also wouldn't the somewhat dead upper right be ok, so that the viewer's eye is brought more to the rest of the image.

Also, why in this age of 10MP+ sensors, why is cropping a last resort? Is it a question of shooting with sloppy technique, or loss of image quality?

I'm not at all attacking, I'm just excited to understand more. I took a few art classes in high school, but never photography. My understanding of composition (along with everything else) is in the process of being self taught. So the feedback I can get from you guys is a huge help. After just the three I posted here a few weeks back I felt like I learned a ton. Thanks.
    OK, first off the rule of thirds is not "writ in stone". Yes it's a good rule, but rules are made to be broken if it doesn't work for that particular image.
    The hill's not bad in itself; but ask yourself, "what does it contribute to the image". My personal opinion is "not a lot" and that's all it is, an opinion.
    As for the "dead" upper right, well you called it! It doesn't lead the eye anywhere it just wanders about a bit.
    With the dark hilly bit taken out the eye is drawn to the "heavy" column and up into the sky. If the pink clouds were at the top that would have been good.

Cropping is usually the least preferred option to good composition because it probably means that the key subject was too small in the frame. Of course, it's sometimes impossible to get the subject where you want it by changing your viewpoint or simply that the shape of the sensor image is wrong for the particular image, in which case cropping is where it's at. And yes, if the sensor is 10MP it's less of an issue than if it were 5MP, but if you aspire to compose in camera rather than rely on cropping your images will improve. Just because you gave it some thought before you released the shutter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a close up of the Front of the station.
    Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    OK, first off the rule of thirds is not "writ in stone". Yes it's a good rule, but rules are made to be broken if it doesn't work for that particular image.
    The hill's not bad in itself; but ask yourself, "what does it contribute to the image". My personal opinion is "not a lot" and that's all it is, an opinion.
    As for the "dead" upper right, well you called it! It doesn't lead the eye anywhere it just wanders about a bit.
    With the dark hilly bit taken out the eye is drawn to the "heavy" column and up into the sky. If the pink clouds were at the top that would have been good.

Cropping is usually the least preferred option to good composition because it probably means that the key subject was too small in the frame. Of course, it's sometimes impossible to get the subject where you want it by changing your viewpoint or simply that the shape of the sensor image is wrong for the particular image, in which case cropping is where it's at. And yes, if the sensor is 10MP it's less of an issue than if it were 5MP, but if you aspire to compose in camera rather than rely on cropping your images will improve. Just because you gave it some thought before you released the shutter.
    I saw the original on laydros's flickr and liked it just the way it was actually. I made a comment about how it was really cool to have the Wright memorial on a hill with the sky as the background. It was like a flying island in the sky and seemed fitting for the subject. But all the crops posted are nice ideas and I think they all look nice!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Good morning my fellow Sonians!

For the contest that never was I suppose!

Merry Christmas!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hey dr4gon, if I take my specs off and squint at the screen, I'd swear that was a Christmas Tree. Good stuff!

I suppose that my treatment of the Wright Brothers Memorial picture could be described as "Minimalist". The cropped image says only two things to me, "Wright Brothers" and the "Sky" which was a big part of their life. As I said before, it's only my take on things and reflects my approach to this particular image. Other opinions are just as valid, there's no right or wrong here or should I say B&W.

Hopefully, those differing opinions will promote well intentioned discussion, an important facet of this thread which can help us all to improve our photography (the main aim).

Whew! Now where's the Eggnog.

I am looking at the image I just posted on my other computer and the colors are way off. I don't know what everybody else is seeing but I hope it isn't the colors I am seeing. I do most of my editing on my laptop. I was on my office computer and I cannot believe my eyes. I wonder if it is too late to change my Xmas list and get a screen adjuster. LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Hey dr4gon, if I take my specs off and squint at the screen, I'd swear that was a Christmas Tree. Good stuff!

I suppose that my treatment of the Wright Brothers Memorial picture could be described as "Minimalist". The cropped image says only two things to me, "Wright Brothers" and the "Sky" which was a big part of their life. As I said before, it's only my take on things and reflects my approach to this particular image. Other opinions are just as valid, there's no right or wrong here or should I say B&W.

Hopefully, those differing opinions will promote well intentioned discussion, an important facet of this thread which can help us all to improve our photography (the main aim).

Whew! Now where's the Eggnog.
    After decoding that message we find out that all along you really just wanted it in B&W!

I see what you mean about the memorial, and sky. Thats a cool message I didn't think about.

I think I still have a lot of that snapshooter point of view where I take pictures to let the viewer see what something looks like, as opposed to the photographer point of view of showing the viewer what I want them to see.

I think thats pretty much the difference between someone who buys a camera to take pictures of birthday parties, and someone who uses a camera as a hobby/art/profession.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Good morning my fellow Sonians!

For the contest that never was I suppose!

Merry Christmas!
    The term "Sonians" is a bit scary.

Nice bokeh circles. I've been wearing glasses since I was 5, so I have a strong association with out of focus Christmas lights. Very cool pic.

I'm still quite bummed about the contest that never came.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    After decoding that message we find out that all along you really just wanted it in B&W!

I see what you mean about the memorial, and sky. Thats a cool message I didn't think about.

I think I still have a lot of that snapshooter point of view where I take pictures to let the viewer see what something looks like, as opposed to the photographer point of view of showing the viewer what I want them to see.

I think thats pretty much the difference between someone who buys a camera to take pictures of birthday parties, and someone who uses a camera as a hobby/art/profession.
    I think you got the point, and then some. You'll soon be teaching us.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    I am looking at the image I just posted on my other computer and the colors are way off. I don't know what everybody else is seeing but I hope it isn't the colors I am seeing. I do most of my editing on my laptop. I was on my office computer and I cannot believe my eyes. I wonder if it is too late to change my Xmas list and get a screen adjuster. LOL
    Frank
    Well, I thought it a was a bit bright but was waiting for someone else to comment. I assumed you liked it that way.

But it begs the question; "How many of us are not seeing what we see"