Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Post Sony a100 self timer

Before anyone blasts me (grin) I was wondering if anyone else has trouble with their 2 sec self timer.

My 10 sec self timer works fine but, when I set it on 2 sec it releases the shutter as soon as I press the button (shutter release).

Just curious if this is a firmware/software issue or what...

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Are you running the latest firmware? I know there have been a few with the a100. That's really odd....

I don't really know what to think of it. It seems like it would have to be a software issue. It's not a mechanical thing where you wind a gear lol.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Exclamation Time-Out!

I'm lost on this ... how are you even selecting 2-sec timer?

Edit: Okay ... got it ... mine works!

Name:  2-sec-timer-A100.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  244.8 KB

BTW: ver. 1.04
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-01-2008 at 09:08 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

According to Sony's website and my camera I am at the latest version, 1.04.

Hmmmm.....

Chris

The button behind the shutter release (in the direction of the photographer), press it and scroll over two spaces to the right. It defaults to 10 sec self timer, then just hit down on the d-pad and it goes to 2 sec self timer. When you press the select button it then brings you up to the info screen (before you take the pic) and shows that the 2 sec self timer is "armed". But, it does not delay for 2 seconds.

I would take pictures to show everyone but, its hard to get a shot of that....

Chris

I editted it in ... (see above)

The operation I am seeing is that the moment I press the shutter release, the mirror lifts ... blocking the viewfinder, it waits two-secionds, then the actual shutter opens for whatever period of time that is selected, then closes and drops the mirror back into TTL position.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-01-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ok, I assume that mine does the same...I kind of expected to hear a beeping or something for those two seconds, then the shutter release. I thought that first click that I was hearing was the mirror and shutter at the same time, I didn't realize they happened separately from one another. All the pictures I was trying to take were with long exposure times, so I didn't think to count to see if there were "two extra" seconds there.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Glad I could be of service. Post some of your stuff!

flickr & Sdi