Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LR vs DPP

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
    That may be true.

I really like the ND grad tool and the local adjustments tool though. I've compared the local adjustments tool with manual blending and I usually get better results with the local adjustment tool.

I like LR's NR as well.

Here's an example of what I do like about LR.....

RAW file converted to jpeg with no adjustments....

Adjustments in LR....
    (The local adjustment brush was used to fix the distracting blown out area in the front right, increase the blue in the sky, as well as many other quick and easy fixes)....
    I swear I am not trying to pick a fight here.. but.. I think the first one looks better. the edited one looks fake / over-processed.

I like LR a lot personally. It's a good program.. when used in conjunction with CS4 (or whatever PS you have). I wish I could make use of the DPP noise reduction tools though. LR's suck.

Also, with your comparison shots at the top. your LR baby the whites of her eyes is really blue. I think your trying to over correct the colors..

50D, Rebel XT, 70-200mm F4L IS, 17-85mm IS, 50mm F1.8, 28-135mm IS, 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 580 EX II, 480 EX II, Opus speedlight umbrella kit.
    Aron de Haan: Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    I dunno, Photoshop is a different tool all together. I don't think it's in direct competition.

One thing I don't like about LR is it's sharpening tool. And the curves tool could be a lot better like you said.

Overall I like LR, it's just so easy and simple.

And I did look at a few different pictures in both LR and DPP and indeed they do look different. DPP has more of that classic Canon look to the images. Nice looking skin tones etc.... but to be honest my high ISO images are without a doubt better looking in LR because of the NR.
    It's not direct competition, but for what photographers (typically) do with their pictures, both provide very similar functions and tools.

Yes, agree that LR's sharpening function is horrible.
    rasidel slika . flickr . gallery . deviantart . facebook . smugmug
    5D / 7D / 17-40 f4.0L / 24-70 f2.8L / 200 f2.8L / 50 f2.5 macro / Sigma 50 1.4 / Tamron 10-24 / Tamron 28-300 VC / 580EXII x2
    Nikon D70 . 18-70 . 70-300 . SB-600 / Panasonic GF-1 . 20 1.7 / Nikon Coolpix E4500 / iphone 4

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    I use LR2 mostly now, every so often i'll go back into canon to adjust the white balance on a particular raw, but lightroom gets most of them right, note though that by right i mean i usually manually adjust the temperature and tint in lightroom manually to get the exact tones i want. I can then proced to cs to do the dirty funky.

I also find that most of the time, the AWB in LR2 is better then the AWB in my camera.

I dont really like -any- of the white balance presets in either canon's profiles or LightRooms2, they work so/so for me, so i usually just get the closest preset and then manually adjust.
    Photoshop's WB adjustment tool is far more flexible than LR's... 3 sliders for 3 levels (shadows / midtones / highlights). Option to preserve luminosity. Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by delobbo View Post
    It's not direct competition, but for what photographers (typically) do with their pictures, both provide very similar functions and tools.

Yes, agree that LR's sharpening function is horrible.
    Lightroom's Detail panel is used as "Capture Sharpening". You still need to do a Smart Sharpen after resizing your images. I do this with a batch action in the export menu.

Perhaps you guys misunderstand LR?
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

^ aha that explains why its so "horrible".

still, I'm using LR less and less. LR is a butter-knife; PS is a scalpel

I don't care how the output compares to DPP. If I wanted to get out of LR what I get out of DPP, I'd use DPP.

LR's simultaneous noise reduction and hot/stuck pixel removal at import has extended the life of my cameras.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by delobbo View Post
    ^ aha that explains why its so "horrible".

still, I'm using LR less and less. LR is a butter-knife; PS is a scalpel
    Which is exactly why you can right-click any image and send to Photoshop for fine tuning after you have done your adjustments.

You better have lots of RAM though
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

well since we're kinda talking about flow here, here's how I do it - initial import with NR, fill light 12% and WB as needed, set "keepers" as 3 stars and enable filter to only show the keepers, go through and crop/straighten (try to get original shots as well composed as possible, of course), adjust any other things where needed, export at 2560 or 1920px (I find these to be good interim sizes to work with). Bring pictures into PS in batches of 20-30, process each, save and close.. repeat until finished. Make a new folder under the export folder and copy all edited exports into it. Open pics in batches of 20-30 into PS, resize to whatever web size needed (800 or 700px usually), sharpen individually. Kinda tedious (is it?) but this is what gets me the best results. Oh I only sharpen the web size for my personal site, for the public site I run it in a batch program that sharpens with a specific algorithm (customizable and with good results) and then resizes and adds an image stamp in one shot. Makes quick work of that.

I like using the stars in LR to designate accept / reject because I use them as levels. For the shots I post as "regulars" on the public site, I use 3 stars. Of course I don't post all the shots - I will always have some shots that are either just too many pics of the same person (read: girl) or maybe just a tad too risque for public consumption - I'll set those to 4 stars and then later on I'll filter by that, and edit and add those to my personal site. Also if I've accidentally set one to 3 it's easy to set it to 2 to kind of "undo" that so it doesn't show up in the filter. Just makes it super-quick to mark pics.

Understand, I process about 250-300 pics per week, on average - this is the flow that works best for me, that I know of at least.

I never use LR's "edit in PS" function.
    Last edited by Rasidel Slika; 12-02-2008 at 06:07 PM.

delobbo, have details on your customizable algorithm?

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod