Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I don't think I was clear. The test chart was with flash. The shots of the fence were in ambient light.
    All I'm saying is that, for the money, the 35-70mm f4 is a respectably good and sharp lightweight walkabout lens.
    Yes, wide open f4 @70mm it's a bit soft but, outside you can stop down to f5.6/f8 to get the sharpness back. This is true for most zooms which are a compromise lens after all.
    Indoors it won't won't hold up against a more expensive f2.8 zoom; I would then be using my 50mm f1.7, 24mm f2.8 or 17-35mm f2.8 D.
    If I had the necessary $1750 for a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70 f2.8, I could happily dispense with all these lenses. But I don't, yet.
    Peter

Well, I would opine to say you are missing out on some "sharper" images by electing not to use the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF). I admit, that is just my "measured" opinion, but that particular lens is a car load cheaper to use and maintain than the heavier and wider CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 by like $1400. And here, you are talking to me about the Minolta 35-70mm f/4 being a bargain.

Somewhere ... I will kick this around for the logic ... but Christmas is coming ... and I would sugggest that you might want to place it on your list of "nice to haves" for the mere $329 it costs these days. Cripes, I just want everyone to shoot better ... at a reasonable cost.

Keep the faith
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-02-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well I was just using the Zeiss as an illustration of a high quality optic in that range. I doubt I'll be buying one anytime soon (if ever) given the state of the stock market.
    Anyway it doesn't alter my good opinion of the 35-70 f4 which I think was my first lens, or was it the 50mm?
    Actually I hardly use the 35-70mm because I'm more likely to be shooting with the Minolta 28-135mm (acquired maybe 20 years ago).
    Peter

I added/editted a "family photo" to the first posting in this thread.

I can certainly appreciate your sense of loss concerning the stock market debacle. Those chumps have just about ruined any chance of people having a life after 62.5 years. "Invest in the stock market. Elect not to have social security." Great damn advice, eh? Now, with all those portfolios literally torn in half or simply destroyed altogether, the next couple of years look like one heck of a lot of fun. I had some plans for serious expeditures in 2009 ... I really wanted to FUEL the economy , via some SONY purchases, among other things ... probably on the order of $10,000-12,000. Well, that plan has certainly taken a long walk off a short pier. That 10-12 grand plan evaporated in the months of August-September. Now, I'll be lucky if "CW" comes through with ponying up his end of the "Full Frame Stabilization" bet! Darker days are drawing near. Prepare for "low-light" photography.

Just for grins ... this was a basic lens and camera comparison test I ran back when the α100 was fresh out of the box (July 2006) ... it still makes me laugh. What was I thinking? I sure am glad I had gotten past that horrendous White Balance issue. That truly was educational. Call it: "Trial & Error!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-02-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Live and learn and that's life.