Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up The 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 solution ... time tells all!

I posted this thread entry some time back, when the 18-250 first came out, because it was such an impressive lens over the 18-200, from a year earlier. To this day, I am of the opinion that it is STILL the BEST "kit lens" idea out there, for the SONY DSLR cameras.

That's pretty cool ... considering how long it has been.

Here is the second thread for review.

Finally, another review from Dynax Digital Forums, dedicated to SONY and Minolta support.

And then a pretty good link, with Dyxum.com to review with other web review connections for the lens.

With the introduction of the new in-the-lens anti-shake AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF) for the Canon and Nikon bunch ... the spectacular quality of this "utility" lens is confirmed.

I suggest you would be well-served having the SONY/TAMRON 18-250 (not the TAMRON 18-270, as it is for Canon/Nikon only) as your starter one ... and keep it handy when you expand your glass bag ... for vacation time.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-23-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow, I thought there would be a comment or two concerning this lens, but nada!

Anyway, here's the SONY link for some detail ...
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Did Don just call this a "kit" lens?
    Nobody's going to buy it now.

It is the ultimate "kit lens", because if you use this one ... the need for many others, for most people, disappears. A kit lens is an "initial" lens to get you started ... this one does that and a whole lot more. The 18-200(250) has always been the be-all, end-all.

It is only because the manufacturers started throwing absolute crap into their camera boxes that the intent was corrupted. Don't blame me for this ... I'm here to help.

Don <- no money in this, remember?

flickr & Sdi

Cool uncle - I'm getting one!

After researching this lens to death in search of people to talk me out of it, no one stepped forward. I'm pulling off a blockbuster trade with B&H, dumping three lenses on their used list to finance the Tamron. I was ..er, FL-constipated -- my lens overlap was poor, new lenses would only make it worse; the only solution was to bail and start fresh.

Now for a tele that lets in some more light.. a beercan, or perhaps SoB (son of Beercan, f/3.5-4.5)? I hate the weight of the original, but once again no one will say bad things about the infamous and beloved Beercan (OK, a bit of CA at times.. whoopee).
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

I made use of a Ozunon AF 70-210mm f/4.5 for a number of years (basically film stuff), but it dies on a digital, due to the high-torque from the improved focusing motor and the focus-drive blade not interlocking with the lens' focus receiver slot. Many SIGMA lenses have been fatally damaged by this newer focus system, also.

It kind of left me without that range for a number of years, until TAMRON introduced their newer SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD MACRO.

Was the wait worth it?

Well, shoots with the same IQ (image quality) of the SONY AF 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM, just not as fast to focus ... and you save $1000 in the bargain. That's money for other things.

It's not a lightweight lens, to be sure, but not many 70-200mm f/2.8 are! In fact, it is lightest in its class and shoots like a dream.

I suppose, all things considered, it is truly the lens to have for a telephoto with no compromise, except focus speed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-30-2008 at 04:27 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I suppose, all things considered, it is truly the lens to have for a telephoto with no compromise, except focus speed.
    and thats exaclty why i would always rule it out. focus speed and accurcy is quite an important part of a low light sports tele wouldnt you say ? so the fact that you say it has no comprimise, (except focus speed), is a bit of a joke isnt it ? kinda liek saying a new race car has no comprimise apart from speed.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I believe he's just trying to point the new people in the right direction as the best way to start off for a replacement for the kit lens. With a lens like this, they will begin to understand what "fast" lenses are.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Rooz, if you can pony up the extra grand for SSM ... then, there is no argument. Hell, if you have that kind of disposable cash, I can make up a list of lens that should top out close to $10,000

With Canon long glass... we can go a lot further. Unfortunately, there are not many in this forum that open their respective wallets and see unlimited levels of green spilling out. So it becomes ... how can I turn out the best images ... for what I have $-wise available. In other words, how close to the line can I ride ... and not go broke.

You want speed ... you will pay the Ferarri-prices ... no problem. Personally ... I'll make a small sacrifice for the shot ... just not the IQ!

flickr & Sdi

on a 70-200/2.8 lens the MAIN objective you are after is speed. speed of aperture and speed of AF. without those then whats the point of lugging around such a big lens ? none.

i'd prefer to comprimise on IQ just a tad and get a sigma 70-200/ 2.8. it focusses much faster and more accurately. you can always use a touch of USM in PP to fix minor IQ issues. but you cant fix a photo that is OOF cos the AF mechanism cant keep up with the action. so for me, i'll pick AF over miniscule IQ differences every time. Don, one of your favvourite sayings is "get the shot". well if you buy a tamron 70-200 you are handicapping your ability to do just that.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr