Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Angry Source for repair parts?

Anybody know a source for repair parts short of shipping things back to the manufacturer? My A200 and I were the victims of a drunk idiot while covering a football game tonight.

As a result of his clumsy crashing about, the rail on the hotshoe is broken, and the plastic base piece on the Sigma flash that mates with the rails is also broken. Fortunately, both still work fine; it is just plastic parts that have to be replaced.

I used to have a decent source to order Canon parts, but couldn't quickly find one with such repair parts for Sony or the Sigma flash.

mmmm, sorry to hear that. I'm really not sure. The plastic hot shoe rail just looks soo flimsy and with the F58AM being as big as it is, it doesn't look stable at all. I can see it snapping off . I don't know where, but there must be a place. Good luck!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I would consider care use of expoxy glue. That stuff sticks to anything and is hard as nails. If you put too much on (really do try not to do this), you can wait for it to dry, the use a tiny Dremel-style drill to remove the excess and get everything back together.

As a matter of history, I broke my Minolta AF 2800 flash, 20 years ago ... and as you say, it still worked ... but I never was able to get a relacement part for the hot shoe stem part and wound up eventually buying another flash, about three years later. Epoxy wasn't as good then, as it is today.

Just a consideration ... fast, cheap and just requires you spend some time being careful as you repair it.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Unfortunately, the broken parts are missing, so there is nothing to epoxy.

I found a site, CRIS camera repair in Chandler, AZ for the Sigma flash. Anyone heard of this outfit?

Smile The A200 is back

Two work weeks, and covered under warranty! Half of that was in transit, and there was a holiday in there as well.

My only beef is they didn't return my nice black cap; putting a gosh awful ugly white one on!

The only cost was 31.xx for freight one way.

That was good service in a time when that is hard to find.

Regarding CRIS Camera, the $14 part for the Sigma flash is supposedly on its way. There was a 7 day backorder on this part to them, so if it shows up (fingers crossed), all will be well.

If anyone needs to deal with CRIS Camera in Flagstaff, I will say I did get timely email and phone responses. I didn't even have to follow up to get the part shipped once it came in; they called me.

Glad you got it fixed!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thumbs up Shutter Fever!

Yeah, enough screwing around ... let's see some images!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Oregon State University Marching Band

Trombones in action, including my favorite trombonist.

(Try this moving backward as they are playing and on the move!)