Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wink Never gonna give u up, never gonna let u down, I'm $364.64 poorer, YES I BOUGHT ONE!!

(This one was shot at ISO 3200, 2mp mode.)

Here's me taking a picture of my SX10 WITH my SX10.

And... here's me with the SX10... and the box it came in and the case that came free with it.

Oh... and to PROVE that YES it IS me posting these pictures of ME with MY new Canon SX10 IS...

Quote Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key View Post
    Hi, all. My Canon S1 IS is having problems again. I've already had the CCD issue fixed, but now ... I should probably look at buying a newer camera.
    I'm considering replacing my S1 IS...
    My S1's busted, and I'm narrowing down what to replace it. Bridge? SLR+Lens + camcorder?
    I'm considering several cameras to replace the S1 IS, but I'll need to narrow it down to one.

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Also, a quick perusal of his user shows he's been posting threads like this for about a year now.

Seriously. Make a decision, buy a camera and learn to love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pas49ras View Post
    ...don't waste your time with a reply. Just check out his other threads, he's not going to buy anything.
    And yes, I AM looking for a replacement, seeing as my S1 IS is busted again.

Also, seeing as it's been 4 years since I got a camera (and I knew the S1 was a major compromise at the time I bought it), I'd like a significant leap forward, not a baby step.
    Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    CUT THE SH1TS MATE. All these years you should have found better use of your time by now.

For other members: He isn't looking for any replacement camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    He's baaaaack!

Seriously, don't bother, he's never going to buy anything anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by pas49ras View Post
    You beat me to it David....he has been looking to buy for about 3years now..come on, its just a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Why do you keep asking? You're never going to actually buy anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulff View Post
    You've been saying this for something like FOUR years now!

Do you ever intend actually buying a camera — any camera — or are you simply a daydreamer?
    Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    He doesn't want to buy any camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Ok, so what happens first...
    A) Piano Man buys a camera.
    B) A 70-300mm F/1.8-2.8 is released AND it only costs 15% more than a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS

I think I'm going with B. It might take 100 years, but I'd still take B.
    You forgot the IS on the 1.8-2.8 lens, and shouldn't it be a constant F/1.8?
    Now that I've bought a camera, where's the $569.19 EF 70-300mm F/1.8-2.8L IS USM?

Quote Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
    Just stopped in to this forum,......which has been pretty slow for some reason, I was frankly surprised to see Piano getting beat up because some didn't think he was a serious buyer, just a poster.

If his style bothered me as much as it does some of you, I'd ignore his posts. Personally, I enjoyed this thread and admire his thick skin.

Here's to some good reviews on the SX1 and SX10.
    When you actually buy the camera and post
    some images
    then I'll believe you. You've cried wolf too many times.
    Well... here (in the sequence of quotes from past replies to my previous topics) was where I was going to post the images... but I decided to post them at the top of the thread instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    now...stop talking shit and buy a camera.

Last but not least (as for the quotes in this post)... this was from a thread where I was lamenting not finding a quality ultra-compact... and had the idea (incidentally no brighter than a nighttime picture taken at 1/8000", F/36, ISO 50) to get pants with a pocket large enough to house a DSLR + fast telephoto lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    I can just image ... "is that the Canon 70-200/2.8L in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
    No, girl, it's the as-yet-unannounced Canon TS-E 1800mm F/2.8L DO IS USM 1000:1 Macro.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    Photo Enthusiast: "We're going to take shots of a once-in-a-lifetime event! Wanna come?"

pianoplayer88key: "Sorry, I can't. My pants are in the wash."
    Uhh... are my pants in the wash because of what someone thought was NOT the Canon 70-200/2.8L?
    Last edited by pianoplayer88key; 11-24-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Now... some photos taken with my new camera (to span the next couple posts in this thread)....

Here's a dove on a power line, taken from about ~200-250 feet away.

Several birds on a power line (taken from ~150 feet away or thereabouts).

Another bird on a power line

Birds flying in formation

Incidentally, I missed a shot of a couple jets flying in formation.

But... here's an airliner. I wish I could have gotten a better shot but it was mid-flight so I really hardly had any time to set up.

And, some radio towers on a mountain about 10 miles south of my house...

Here's a pic of my cat in our back yard.

And here's one of her in the house on the couch.

And... now for a few nighttime photos... (the one where I take a landscape at midnight and make it look like broad daylight will have to wait till at least the next full moon.)

Here's Orion. I did a little PP on this one - mainly the "levels" tool - cranked the middle slider all the way to the right, then brought the right one over just till it almost started to get speckled, then backed off so you could still see the constellation clearly.

Here's the moon shot at 46x, 2mp.

Moon @ VGA, 80x

100% 640x480 crop of moon from 10mp 20x shot

And... a few more pics... just to go along with my username

have you read the manual yet?
    are you using Auto mode?
    i think all these pics can be improved a little more with PP.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I haven't read the manual much yet.
    I was mostly using the Av, Tv and M modes.

I think my technique has room for improvement. (Also I should learn some good PP techniques. I think I only PP'd one, or maybe two, of the pics.)

Also I'd like to get (and learn to use) a decent (preferably free) noise removal program.

And, when CHDK gets ported, I want to check it out, too.

Congrats! Godspeed! I always believed in you.

Gonna post some video for us as well?

'Bout damned time!
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    'Bout damned time!
    LOL! That's what I call REEEEEESSSEEEEAAAARRRCCCCHHHH!!!!

Congrats! Godspeed! I always believed in you.
    DAVID! *Tsk tsk!* Weren't you one of the many forumites that was always damning my posts when I was asking about cameras? Weren't you one of the ones that said I was never going to buy one?
    Gonna post some video for us as well?
    Oh.... I'll think about it, maybe. I should record some more piano music and put it up on U-2b...

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    'Bout damned time!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiPMaRC View Post
    LOL! That's what I call REEEEEESSSEEEEAAAARRRCCCCHHHH!!!!
    Also, in part, you could call it P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E. :-)
    And, for now, in part, exasperation that the manufacturers just aren't innovating fast enough (at least compared to computers - you know the boxes that sit at your desk and run Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc?)...

Like I've said in a previous post, IMO, the SX10 IS (well, actually I think I "said" 'SX1' not 'SX10') is what the S2 IS should have been... :P And, since the last "S" series camera I had WAS the S1, the SX10 is a worthy upgrade. I would have liked the HD video in the SX1, but 1 - it would have been difficult to import it in time for when I needed something that could shoot video, AND 2 - I felt it would be unwise to pass up this deal I got from NewEgg on the SX10: $339.99 (+ tax cause I'm in CA and El Huevo Nuevo has facilities in the east / southeast Los Angeles area), WITH a free case AND 8GB Class 4 Kingston SDHC. And, as of the time I'm posting this, that deal is still going...
    Also, I had tried it a couple times in a store, and figured of everything that was available on the market in my price range it would be what I would like best. (Sure I would love to have a usable ISO 25,600 with a F/1.4 lens, but I don't have upwards of $4k.) And, playing with it a little since I've gotten it, so far I really like it.

Oh....

and did no one notice the Rick Astley lyrics in the thread title? (I figured I'd do something like a reverse rickroll, instead of posting "I BOUGHT A CANON 1DS MKIII AND 85MM F/1.2!!!" then linking to a certain seemingly popular YouTube video... :P)
    Last edited by pianoplayer88key; 11-22-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Finally! I never think I'd see this in my life time. LOL.
    Congratulations.

PS: Can't wait to see when you replace the piano.
    Last edited by tim11; 11-22-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB