Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Use Canon utility or iPhoto to download photos off SD card?

I'm a brand, spanking new XSi/450D owner and have one quick question:

For purposes of downloading photos from the camera, is there any reason to use the utility provided on a CD with the camera rather than iPhoto (I'm a Mac user)? I'm used to iPhono and all of my other 5000+ photos are cataloged there.

I'm not talking about RAW photos -- just regular jpgs.

Thanks.

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
    For purposes of downloading photos from the camera, is there any reason to use the utility provided on a CD with the camera rather than iPhoto...
    No need at all. iPhoto will download your pics fine. This applies to about 99% of all digital cameras; that is, you don't really need the software that comes in the box.

Cheers

iPhoto will also give you a path to Aperture later on and links to Photoshop/Elements.

Thanks, all.
    I pretty much figured that iPhoto was fine for downloading. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some fabulous new feature with the Canon-supplied software (admittedly, a highly unlikely prospect).

I am assuming that the fact iPhoto can edit RAW photos doesn't make it the best way to do so. (Not sure how into RAW shooting I'm going to get at this point, but I figure Photoshop Elements or the Canon "Digital Photo Professional" would suffice at this point)

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I use the Canon stuff. I let Image Browser download to my Mac and then let it erase the card. Then I use DPP to do the processing. Having said that, Aperture would do it just fine too. I really need to get more into Aperture.