Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lens Recommendations (for a friend)

Hello,
    First let me say that I know ZERO about Sony cameras & lenses. I am a canon guy.
    I have a friend whose wife owns a Sony A200. He came to me for lens recommendations. I told him I don't know Sony lenses, but I did give him some general advice based on my knowledge of canon, and I know this great resource (this forum).

He is wanting a zoom lens (he mentioned a 75-300mm), so that is close to the range he is looking for.

I told him that Image Stablization (don't know what Sony calls it) is a very important item to have. Also a good focus motor system (canon's best is the Ring USM - Ultrasonic Motor), which I also don't know Sony's equalivant. Water sealed.

He said he is willing to spend some money for a good one, but like everyone, he wants the best value for his money.

His wife shoots action, sports, kids at play, etc that she would need this lens for.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Gear: Canon 40D & XTi, Canon 18-55 kit lens, Canon 28mm f-1.8 prime, Canon 50mm f-1.8 prime, Canon 55-250mm IS lens.
    Wish List: 70-200mm f2.8 IS L lens.

In the 75-300 range, I would recommend the Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM is a very good lens. It has the SSM motor (Super Sonic wave Motor) and G lens coatings. The lens sells for around 750.00
    All Konica/Minolta dslr and the Alpha cameras have Image Stabilization built directly into the camera. No special lenses are required.
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

That would be equivalent to the higher end (of Canon's 70-300 range).

If he is on a budget, I would recommend the Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di (make sure it's the newer Di version). It's the best zoom in its class and it's about ~$150!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I do agree the Tamron 70-300 Di lens is quite phenomenal in the IQ test!!!!!! I think it just as good as the Sony in IQ. If high speed is an issue, the Sony’s SSM technology could be a little faster. Actually, and depending on what your friends wife is taking photographs of the speed may not be an issue. If speed were not an issue, I would go for the Tameron Lens.
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

The IQ on the Tamron is good, but definitely no where near the Sony G lens. It's just a different design and is top notch quality (hence the price).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Why not stretch a bit? 70-400?

Well, to be honest, if I were going to replace my 70-300mm ... it would be with the SONY G SSM, otherwise there is no real point.

The TAMRON SP AF 70-200 f/2.8 Di LD MACRO does the heavy lifting in that range ... and after that ... it's the Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6, which has the better CA response and overall reach, in the field, without a lot of weight, unlike the upcoming (January 2009 release) 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM that SONY is about to release. The SONY does focus closer ... 3.8 feet, versus the Tokina's 8-feet. The SONY is also ten ounces heavier ... and platinum-colored!

Name:  70-400mm-g-ssm-f4-f5-large.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  267.6 KB

The 70-400mm f4-5.6 G series super telephoto zoom lens is part of Sony's G-series line of premium lenses. The first thing you notice is its silver color, which indicates Sony's new design direction to give the high-end telephoto lenses a distinctive look. The lens has a variable aperture through the zoom range from f4 to 5.6, with a nine blade circular diaphragm for a pleasing out of focus effects. It has a minimum focusing distance of 3.8 feet, and like the 16-35mm lens it has a SSM AF drive system for silent precision focusing.

There is a focus mode switch and a range limiter switch on the lens, as well as three focus-hold buttons right on the lens barrel. The focus-hold buttons can be very helpful when shooting things like sports photography. When attached to the Sony Alpha A900 the AF hold buttons can be customized to activate the intelligent preview function. It will be available in January 2009 for about $1,500.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-18-2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Do we like white instead?

Few more here: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...TID=36740&PN=7

LOL I'm liking the white!
    flickr

That Cinnamon makes a clear and bold statement: "Something is getting shot!"

LOL

Try and hide a lens like that in a natural setting!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Dang Don that 70-400 has me drooling! But the price has me groaning! Well for now and the next few years I think the Tokina 80-400 will be my good light sports lens.
    You know the green finish would be sweet i think it looks very sharp, but man if you could get that pink one, just think about, you could leave sit out and no one would steal it, you could find it in the dark, you would be sure it was yours, you would have plenty of room to work as no other photographer would get to close to you, might be the way to go!!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Out West ... they may get a little too close ... know what I mean? wink wink nudge nudge

flickr & Sdi