Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony DSLR A100 -- USB port

hi all,

I have a Sony DSLR A100, and the pins are bent in the USB port. I have a card reader that I can use to download my pics, but it is not that convenient. Does anybody know how expensive it would be to have the port replaced? I tried filling out the online service thing, but all they gave me was the flat fee pricing, and that is like $230. I would think that they should be able to quote me the exact price. thanks.

Sony DSLR A100 -- USB port

Howdy kkg 58,

Glad you could join the post.

I would assume that your camera is out of warranty? If not I would advise you to either use the card reader or spend another 100 on the A200. Personally I think the card reader is faster. Of course, this could just be the setup and system I have.
    Just my two cents worth,
    AJ
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

Repair of almost any DSLR , out of warranty, is going to be extreme. SONY is nnotorious for making you pay dearly if they have to "revisit" a machine. I took my lumps with their PCs and laptops, when my boss decided to go CHEAP and not purchase the warranties. Sure enough $400-800 per machine, no matter how idiotic the problem. Pay upfront, because they will, most assuredly, get it later.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-17-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I suggest you buy Sony Corp. items, which offers extended warranties on directly from Sony Style. If you purchase items from another vendor, Sony Style will not offer their extended warranties. Now as other vendors do offer service warranties, my experience (a subject for another post) has been it’s worth the extra to buy from Sony.
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Gressette View Post
    I suggest you buy Sony Corp. items, which offers extended warranties on directly from Sony Style. If you purchase items from another vendor, Sony Style will not offer their extended warranties. Now as other vendors do offer service warranties, my experience (a subject for another post) has been its worth the extra to buy from Sony.
    Not true actually. I bought my camera from Circuit city, passed on their warranty. Called SonyStyle and picked up a 3-year accidental warranty. I think it has to be within 30-60days after purchase.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I think you're going to have to forget the USB port.

Don't know why a card reader should be inconvenient.
    - it's as quick to plug in a card as it is to plug in a cable
    - data transfer is faster than using your camera's USB port
    - Draws power from the PC USB port
    - Saves your camera batteries

I (too) think the card reader is more convenient and use it all the time because it's

- Nearly 5x Faster
    - Saves me from dragging out the cable (card reader is always conveniently attached)
    - Easy to manage multiple cards
    - Can charge my camera's battery at the same time
    - or continue to use the camera with another card

I would just use the reader if I were you.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II