Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: I will participate in the "SONY DSLR Christmas Still" Contest

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I will particpate - Great lens for free!

9 100.00%
  • NO - I will not particpate

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes Don shame this didn't get off the ground it was a good idea. Maybe Jeff could pick up the idea & make it something general as a prize so more of us could enter. If he could get a manufacturer to donate a prize or ask for a small donation to the site per entry he wouldn't be out of pocket.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Cool A "noble" try ... but, not the first ... or the last

Look ... I was concerned with the SONY DSLR group turning out some concerted effort ... to make use of their investment. It was a "focused" contest, providing insight to something other than the usual candid shots.

There was really no failure in the effort, as we all would have a chance to offer critique and ideas on improvements, if any, as we all saw them, to provide a lesson in photography, group style. It seemed to work in class, when I was taking courses, but obviously the priize was the grade, not a physical item.

In reality, the "end vote" was really just to provide an idea of what the majority felt was the best overall idea and depiction. The winner would get another lens to work with for the holiday season. I cannot do more than I have, without being true to the purpose. I know there are enough people on this forum to support and work the idea ... and the shame of it is that they have decided to not put forth the effort to participate. I even went to another board to try and get them to migrate over and join in on the fun. Not too much play with that idea, from what I have seen.

I would still hope that everyone who actually did vote might put up their ideas, regardless. I always found taking the challenge the real reward, winning anything is just "gravy" in pursuit of my hobby. It gets those creative juices flowing.

BTW: I humorously considered offering up the "kit lens", but I wouldn't wish that P.O.S. on anyone.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-19-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

BTW: I humorously considered offering up the "kit lens", but I wouldn't wish that P.O.S. on anyone.
    Hey Don, by "kit lens" did you mean the Sony 18-70mm? I bought an Alpha 200 recently and been using that (first DSLR).
    Is it mean to be that bad?
    -------------
    Sony Alpha 200
    Minolta AF 50mm f1.7
    Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    Minolta AF 70-210mm f4

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunZ View Post
    Hey Don, by "kit lens" did you mean the Sony 18-70mm? I bought an Alpha 200 recently and been using that (first DSLR).
    Search around, there's been a lot of discussion about it. Look for the " busting the kit lens" thread. It's pretty bad to mediocre. You should step up to something better asap.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Red face If you care about your images ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunZ View Post

I apologize for not being more definite, but YES ... I did mean the SONY DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, which, from the very first day ... was a disaster on my camera ...waiting to happen, with nearly every shot.

As "dr4gon" suggested, please take the time to look at this discussion thread (<- click here) and, hopefully, you can see kind of where this is all coming from.

Thank you for asking, though.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-20-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Such a bummer that this didn't go through.

I'd still bet money that Sony is going to have 25% or more market share within 3 years, but things still kinda feel thin now.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Such a bummer that this didn't go through.

I'd still bet money that Sony is going to have 25% or more market share within 3 years, but things still kinda feel thin now.
    It's getting there. I see more and more sony shooters everyday. not just new people too, but some really spectacular work (on flickr).

Sony has a few things to improve upon

• pricing (a900, and high end lenses have too much of a premium to attract people to the system)
    • lens availability (need more variety and in-stock high demand lenses)
    • customer service and quality control of lenses

Not too much to ask is it?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Now that they have breathed life into the system, it sounds like SONY should capitalize & boost the camera division and allow it operate independently, to make it truly viable. If they keep trying to make money off it for the rest of the corporation ... it will never really grow in the ways it should.

Hey, it's just my opinion ... that's the name of the game.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-20-2008 at 06:08 PM.

flickr & Sdi