Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: I will participate in the "SONY DSLR Christmas Still" Contest

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I will particpate - Great lens for free!

9 100.00%
  • NO - I will not particpate

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a NEW vote ... Christmas Still

SONY photogs ... we are going to rethink this friendly competition? Obviously there was NOT enough interest in participation ... although, I want to thank those who did plan to participate and voted.

To "beef up" the interest, I am changing the prize a little and offering a

1995 TAMRON AF 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 Promaster lens, instead of the 70-300.

This was one of the first true utility lenses and it offers tremendous focal length options over the "kit lens"

Limitations of the lens "M.F.D." = 6.9 feet ... so back up. There is a "close-up" filter that you can place on the lens and I will include it that reduces the M.F.D. to around 4 feet, you just lose iunfinity focus while it is mounted on the lens.

So, again, here's the idea ... so vote on it.
    • Design a nice. seasonal indoor theme image (preferably tabletop) incorporating ideas based on traditional "Christmas"
    • You have to shoot it yourself with EXIF date stamp, for posting. No earlier stuff. It should be from Nov-10-2008 thru Dec-15-2008
    • Frame and Shoot this image from two different aspects, with your name somewhere in the image, thereby proving it is your design.
    • Post your two shots no later than 12/15/2008
    • At least ten (10) "SONY DSLR camera" participants (a 'YES' vote means you are participating) to get this show on the road. The voting is open until 11/20/2008

We all vote (voters must be a SONY DSLR camera owner in order to count) and pick the best one. The winner gets the lens.

Merry Christmas!

If there are not 10 'YES' votes ... by 11/21/2008 ... there will be no contest.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-15-2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up What it looks like ...

Here is the TAMRON AF 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 Promaster lens mounted on the A700:

Name:  T28-200-lens-mounted.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  314.1 KB
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hey Don, great idea. I'll be keen if it takes off

Cheers
    -------------
    Sony Alpha 200
    Minolta AF 50mm f1.7
    Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    Minolta AF 70-210mm f4

again i will have no clue what the hell im doing but im in

I sure hope this one makes it off the ground. I don't see why people wouldn't want to participate. Should be fun and a great way to pick up some gear.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Man oh man ... this is looking grim. I thought "CaliGal" and "SONYNUT" would at least participate.

flickr & Sdi

I'll give it a "go" Don.

What Minota lens?
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

Exclamation C'mon voters and participants!

Okay ... one more day ... we have 9 "YES" votes ... we need at least one (1) more for the contest to even take place.

Come on ... you can submit for free ... no charge and win a lens to use or dispose of as you wish. To me, this is a no brainer ... show your stuff!

LOL ... this is too much. I'm just trying to get people to use what they spent >$500 to invest in. High Crimes!

Anyway, while you are deciding ... here's an HDR to snack on!

Name:  Gingerbread-house-fill_HDR2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  73.4 KB
    Taken with α700 & Minolta AF 24mm f/2.8 lens
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-19-2008 at 11:57 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy Sad response, overall ...

Again ... only 9 votes.

I give up. There will be no third try.

Thank you, those that did try, at least.

2nd HDR shot (example):

Name:  Gingerbread-w-modeling-light_HDR2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  389.7 KB
    Taken with α700 & Minolta AF 24mm f/2.8 lens
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-19-2008 at 11:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi