Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    man im addicted. looks like a very nice lense there are quite a few of these on ebay is this a must have lense. Just got my camera last night and already thinking of buying more. i have the sony 18-250 and it seems like you can pick this lense up for 100-150 thats pretty cheap in my mind should i get what does the rs version mean
    some people claim the older version is better IQ wise, but the RS looks more modern (like the Sony 50mm F/1.4). IMO, they're probably nearly identical. On Dyxum, the older one has a slightly higher review, not that that really means much. The RS though is a bit more expensive.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

So is this lense a good one to have or are there better options for what im looking for indoors low light

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    So is this lense a good one to have or are there better options for what im looking for indoors low light
    Better would be the Sony 50mm F/1.4 (or minolta)

or 35mm F/1.4 G

or the 85MM F/1.4 ZA

Other options include the ridiculously sharp 135mm F/1.8 ZA and possibly the Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 (for longer range zoom)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

This was the first lens I bought for my first ever DSLR camera and I was, and remain, very impressed with it. I've had some excellent portraits of my family taken through it and I'm a complete amateur photographer. It seemed to allow me to try out a lot of the features of my camera, in terms of having a huge number of aperture/shutter speed combinations. Only cost me 55 as well.

Welcome, "BobJohnson" and thanks for sharing your experience with the forum.

Please, take a few moments to explore some of the other options we've discussed on the forum and see how you can expand your photography, quite handily, with zoom lenses and MACROs.

It is nice to see the forum continue to grow.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Frank congrats on the purchase. This lens or one of its versions really is almost required to have with a Alpha camera, the color, the blur, all just amazing, nice for low light, but take it outside in the sun with a CPL on it and it does some nice work! The guy I got mine off of included a UV filter and a CPL with the lens so I felt like I got a pretty sweet deal. So assignment for the weekend everyone post pics from your 50mm? Sweet spot at f 5.6 eh, will have to try that out!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

one of th emost important lessons I ever learned was to ask questions when you don;t know something lol. So... what's a CPL?!

circular polarizing filter, and I shouldn't use abbrevations and presume everyone knows what I mean. sorry lol
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Cool Filtration or "Hey, I don't need all that light!"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post
    one of the most important lessons I ever learned was to ask questions when you don't know something lol. So... what's a CPL?!
    Bob ... there are a few abbreviations you will find referred to quite commonly with photography. It's shorthand for most of the members, but yeah, there is a learning curve. I have to keep remiunding myself that new members are always coming in ... and like yourself, could use a quick hand in reference.

A good way to learn many of these, other than having to refer to a chart is to read through advertisements on some of the web page catalogs. Man, you want to talk about shorthand on a massive scale! Whew!

Anyway ... just to cut down some of that research time ...

Filters:
    • UV = Ultraviolet
    • CPL = Circular Polarizing
    • ND = Neutral Density (Comes in three different levels, +2, +4, +8)
    • 1/2 ND = A ND-filter that only is treated on one half and requires rotation to manipulate to cover the upper portion of your image (sky)
    • Grad ND = A ND-filter to goes from 0 (zero) effect to full ND reduction across the face of the filter, in a linear graduated fashion.

These are the most commonly used filters in digital photography. There are many more that were developed for use in film photography. They are designed to alter/control the optical image that presents itself to the media (being it film or electronic) in order to help in the management of the light. Filter use requires experience. You have some basic rules for their use, but you still have to go out and use them to appreciate their effect.

Here was a lively FILTER discussion (<- click on this link), recently (just last month), that tossed around all sorts of ideas. It may be worth your time, since the subject has be broached.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-14-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi