Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony Style drops prices.

I got a email today from Sony telling me the SAL2470Z lens I ordered several weeks ago (5) was shipping today. I looked at the Sony Style web sight and several items have dropped. Ofcourse not the lens I ordered.....LOL
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

Looks like someone went through with a $50 cut brush and whacked on a few items ... yes, the HVL-F58AM ... is now $449. LOL

Where they need to cut they won't ... such as the A900, by at least $1000 or throw in a HVL-F58AM and VG-C90AM Vertical Grip for a combo deal! ... $3199. Now, that'd be a purchase worth some thought.

Nice try ... but, it is no "fire sale" for Christmas. The glass is still overpriced!

Oh, they did lop another $100 of the 70-200mm F/2.8 G SSM. I think the TAMRON had some effect in that.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-13-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Some economic stimulus from the Sony Corp.

I am very glad to see Sony come down on prices to make products more attractive to consumers. This is the second drop on the 70-200 lens. In a way it makes me sick because I paid the original price. Ugg! I don’t look for any price reduction on any of the Zeiss lenses any time soon.
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

Zeiss glass is a problem, because of the licensing fees involved with qualifying the lenses.

The only real problem with the SONY pricing, from my understanding, is that while the camera bodies can be fixed in price, the lenses should be "fair market" or as the retailer wants to discount them for sale ... and SONY has monopolistically over-priced a lot of the lenses by nearly 35%!

From Wikipedia ... a definition of Fair Market Value (FMV)

There are numerous definitions of fair market value for various purposes and jurisdictions. A highly general definition is:
    • It is the most probable price at which a good or service will exchange, expressed in terms of cash or equivalent, in a free market assuming:
    • A knowledgeable and willing seller unencumbered by undue pressure to sell and acting in his own best interest
    • A knowledgeable and willing buyer unencumbered by undue pressure to buy and acting in his own best interest
    • A reasonable time for exposure in a free and open market.

In other words, you should be able to go to a SONY Style store and if they have the lens in stock, you can make an offer for it, instead of paying full boat. They can mark it down by nearly 15% if they want to. You just need to make them want to ... making the sale worth their while ... by buying enough glass or other accessories for them to "lick their chops" at the prospect. It pays to haggle! It is patently obvious that since SONY is reducing prices ... sales are in the "buyer's hands", right now. They need to move product ... and fast.

Say, what is 15% of $1700? Oh yeah ... 0.15 x 1700 = $255 ... Better in your pocket than theirs!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-13-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

the Sony Store in Canada haggles. but mostly on items over $500.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

mmm I didn't know that. you could probably haggle a bit past sales tax? that's not getting you too far.... lol.

the F58 dropped $50 in the canada store a little while back.

The only other drop was the 70-300 G got a $50 break.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

the F58 is $449 at Henry's now. Sonystyle should match it.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Sony Style and sure program continues to confues me, it just doesn't seem to make good sense for the company, oh well guess they have to recoup other losses soemwhere but why does it have to be the camera division!! It would still be a large amount to pay out but you would think they could give price breaks on package purchases, like buy a grip and flash at same time, or buy 2 lenses at same time, a900 grip and flash for the price of the 900 now that would be tempting LOL
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/