Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Art filters

Art filters

Art filters are one of the new additions to the E30 & E620. How about Oly adding a GND filter that could be varied, rotated & moved - would that be possible in camera firmware?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I don't think so... that would be the same as an in camera HDR. It would be nice though...

Now you are getting into a high end feature I have been thinking about for years. I just don't know if the current sensor control and addressing is configured for what I want. I think a great combination would require the ability to set ISO sensitivity at the pixel level on the sensor. I imagine that today's cameras pass the entire image source through a single 'amp' to apply ISO. If you could adjust sensitivity on the fly, then we could create a variable ND filter. Forget about normal graduated take a different approach.

Combine a touch screen interface on the camera and this variable ISO feature. Allow the photographer to draw ANY horizon line and set the rate of graduation of the filter. Or better yet, use the threshold concept to create a mask of the highlight areas. Then use a few adjustable controls to feather the ISO relative to the value that was masked by the threshold. This mask would not be a fixed template , but would set the custom shadow/highlight filter. With each picture the camera would take a pre-shot to get the threshold data and then apply the ISO mapping on the actual shot. This might work best if the sensors were like the Fuji that has a parallel set of sensors. Then one set could be used just to set the neighbors ISO requirements. All we need is some CPU horsepower...