Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a350

Hybrid View

a350

Hello all first post need some help. i think im getting the new sony dslr but my dilemma is what lens. ive read the kit lenses that come are not very good. Does anyone have an opinion on the DT 16-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Wide-Range Zoom Lens SAL-16105 would this be a better choice than the kit lenses. or would the DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens
    SAL-18250 be a better choice are these good lenses. Sorry lot of info craming in here i just have a headache trying to figure out. I will be shooting mostly family stuff like kids and so on but i do travel alot to Disney and stuff and want the option of a longer lense. I was just thinking kill 2 birds with one stone so i didnt have to carry 2 lenses. Am i thinking right.

What kinds of things and situations are you going to be shooting? that can make as much a choice on what body to get as well as what lenses to get. Save some money on glass and consider Tamron, The Tamron 17-50 with the tamron 70-300 is a outstanding starter combo for about $600.00. many of us here have that combo. there has been lots of talk and posting on bodies and lenses here lately so do some background reading for more info. There is alot of good info and good advice to be had here, welcome aboard.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

i will be taking shots of my kids etc. boy is 5 now so he will be starting to play sports also we go to disneyworld alot and i shoot the parades and firworks taking photos of the buildings and so on. The parades are at night its dark just looking for some advice. are those good lenses is the tamron better

I have been reading the site and there is alot of info however half the time I dont no what there talking about im new to this decided to start the post to personalize it. Want to make sure these were good lenses etc

the Sony lenses are plenty high priced, many say overpriced. the Sony Carl Ziess glass is fantastic but you will PAY for it! Tamron has very good quality glass with a 6 year warranty at prices much easier to take. Some Tamron's are better then others look around here and ask questions. The 2 lens combo I mentioned would be a good base for you, maybe the Tamron 18-250 would be a bit better for you. Low light / night shooting you need FAST glass that means MONEY! You may also want to look into a flash unit also.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

First of all ty for the response the fact of the matter is I will buy whatever someone tells me is the best for my situation. You sound very knowledgable about it I dont mind taking your advice. Thats why im looking for opinions actually im not looking for opinions im looking for someone to just bluntly tell me what to buy i want nice lenses and if that means i should get 2 diff ones I will I just need to no what to do, That combo you suggested i googled and couldnt find what should i look for or should i go with the latter you mentioned. the only reason i was going with sony lenses was ease hey seemed expensive to me that equates to good. please tell me what to do im lost

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    First of all ty for the response the fact of the matter is I will buy whatever someone tells me is the best for my situation. You sound very knowledgable about it I dont mind taking your advice. Thats why im looking for opinions actually im not looking for opinions im looking for someone to just bluntly tell me what to buy i want nice lenses and if that means i should get 2 diff ones I will I just need to no what to do, That combo you suggested i googled and couldnt find what should i look for or should i go with the latter you mentioned. the only reason i was going with sony lenses was ease hey seemed expensive to me that equates to good. please tell me what to do im lost
    Here's 2 good possible combinations:

Tamron 17-50 + Tamron 70-300

or

Tamron 18-250 (same, slightly slower than the SONY version, but cheaper and a 6 year warranty)

As for indoor/nighttime shooting, it may be prudent to get a flash in the future. Here's a good one to start with

HVL-F42AM

or the HVL-F58AM if you're looking for something more.

As you can see from my signature, I have the first lens "combo" and the last flash listed.

Good luck and welcome!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

ty for the response i guess it doesnt make sense to me to have 2 diff lenses if you can get 1 that does the same function is my thinking here wrong or am i on the right track. Are the tamron lenses better i guess i just wanted to order everything thru sony i was getting the a350 plus the DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens SAL-18250 i thought it was a descent price for i think 1149 or 1199

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    ty for the response i guess it doesnt make sense to me to have 2 diff lenses if you can get 1 that does the same function is my thinking here wrong or am i on the right track. Are the tamron lenses better i guess i just wanted to order everything thru sony i was getting the a350 plus the DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens SAL-18250 i thought it was a descent price for i think 1149 or 1199
    It's an OK price. But the tamron can be had cheaper. But get the Sony if you want, it does AF (auto focus) faster.

You're sort of on the right track.

The two lens combo I named above has one lens that's good for low light indoor shooting, and one that's a tele-zoom lens for outdoors and bright conditions.

The 18-250mm is a compromise as it covers a WIDE range, but isn't the best for dim and many indoor situations (without a flash anyway).

$450 shipped + 6 year warranty (official dealer)

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...?sku=TM18250MA
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Good set-up ... for starting out

Several folks have been through here, asking pretty much the same thing, recently ... and opinions abound. I can only speak from my own experiences, having shot a lot of the glass that most people have in their respective bags (check out 'my gear list', in my signature, below. You should be able to find most of what is currently available, listed there. If not, it is either a lot more expensive or simply duplicates what I already have and there is not enough benefit to purchase it. Do not be afraid to ask, though. We discuss it all, here).

As a convenience lens ... I usually recommend going with the TAMRON or SONY 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 (<-click on the link) (not the 18-200) and buying an external flash, to handle the longer shots, too.

Name:  a100-18-250-f36am.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  162.5 KB

You need a little more light with this particular lens, but you trade that for the convenience of using one lens that can provide a pretty decent shot. If you read thriough the thread posts of the past few months, in the SONY DSLR Forum, you can easily locate some reviews that have done "quick-shot" comparisons (<- click on link) between them. Nothing too seriously extensive, but enough to show the average result between the lenses.

Also, there are a series of lens surveys that show what is available for the SONY mount ... so you can get a list together and compare them, yourself, at the local camera store.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-09-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi