Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about buying an alpha

So I posted a long time ago about buying my first dslr, but never actually bought one. I am now ready to pull the trigger, but not really sure what I want to get. I really like the Sony alpha cameras and have played with the a200. However, I'm not sure which model to get. I am a complete newbie to dslrs and know just a little bit about photography in general. I want a model that will grow with me, but this will only be a hobby and nothing more. Anyone have a good suggestion for me?

Thanks,

Kerri

Kerri, no sensible answer to this without an idea of your budget.
    If budget's tight I'd say, make sure you get a good lens even if it means getting a second hand body for the time being.
    Lens choice will depend on the sort of images you want to capture.

Peter

Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Kerri, no sensible answer to this without an idea of your budget.
    If budget's tight I'd say, make sure you get a good lens even if it means getting a second hand body for the time being.
    Lens choice will depend on the sort of images you want to capture.

Peter
    I am not set on a certain amount. I was thinking about $1000 for a body and at least one lens.

Thanks for the response!

Kerri

What type of lens did you think you'd be wanting?

What do you intend to shoot?

I think an a200 (or A300 for its liveview and tiltable screen, but smaller viewfinder) would be an excellent choice in addition to a Tamron 18-250mm lens (all purpose utility lens).

That should put you at about $1,000 and you'll have an excellent beginner setup!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Just a suggestion ...

If I were forced to consider one, under that kind of restrictive budget ... (Click on the links) I would probably elect the α300;

Name:  DSLRA300K.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  4.9 KB

the DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens (useful both indoors and out) and the HVL-F42AM flash ... which will cover a lot of ground
    and provide relatively decent images for you. It is the cheapest, most capable match I can imagine.

After that, it is simply your pick how and where you want to sharpen or reach for.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-08-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    What type of lens did you think you'd be wanting?

What do you intend to shoot?

I think an a200 (or A300 for its liveview and tiltable screen, but smaller viewfinder) would be an excellent choice in addition to a Tamron 18-250mm lens (all purpose utility lens).

That should put you at about $1,000 and you'll have an excellent beginner setup!
    I'm not doing so good with providing enough details tonight.

I will be primarily taking photos of my kids. I have a 5 year old and a newborn. The 5 year old is getting involved in sports (outdoor and indoor) so I need a camera/lens that will be good for both. I was thinking about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for the indoor stuff and then a telephoto zoom.

Thanks,

Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by Nu2photography View Post
    I'm not doing so good with providing enough details tonight.

I will be primarily taking photos of my kids. I have a 5 year old and a newborn. The 5 year old is getting involved in sports (outdoor and indoor) so I need a camera/lens that will be good for both. I was thinking about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for the indoor stuff and then a telephoto zoom.

Thanks,

Kerri
    That would be the more advanced setup

With the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, you probably could do without a flash. But the HVL-F42AM Flash is a good starter flash, I almost got one, but found an awesome deal for the F58AM.

As for a telephoto zoom, the Tamron 70-300 is a $150 lens that should be perfect and it's quality is EXCELLENT for the price!

Do you think you will be needing live view on the LCD or a tiltable LCD? If not, then you could probably save yourself some money by getting the A200 and enjoy the nice larg(er) view finder.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

i'm still pretty new at this , about a year an a half. i started out with the
    A100(only sony out at the time)and the tamron 17-50 and later got the 18-250.
    i was kinda like you, used it a lot for shooting pics of the kids. when i got the 18-250 i used it a lot(it's that new toy thing), but since i've started to actually think about my shots, instead of just snapshots i find i use the 17-50 most of the time.

Kerri, it seems like you've been researching and come up with some good answers.

Personally, I'd go with the A200 Body. Using the viewfinder (rather than the LCD) gives a more intimate feel and helps in concentrating on the composition (opinion). At f2.8 you should get away without indoor flash which, for me, gives a more natural and pleasing result; also the wider aperture should give a softer feel to your portrait shots (I say should because I'm not familiar with the Tamron).

I'm in the UK so I'm not conversant with US pricing but I don't think there's too much left after those two purchases. A secondhand Minolta 100-200mm (sharp and nice colour) might fit be affordable. It's lighter and cheaper than the 70-210 Beercan.

Good luck whatever your final choice.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Kerri, it seems like you've been researching and come up with some good answers.

Personally, I'd go with the A200 Body. Using the viewfinder (rather than the LCD) gives a more intimate feel and helps in concentrating on the composition (opinion). At f2.8 you should get away without indoor flash which, for me, gives a more natural and pleasing result; also the wider aperture should give a softer feel to your portrait shots (I say should because I'm not familiar with the Tamron).

I'm in the UK so I'm not conversant with US pricing but I don't think there's too much left after those two purchases. A secondhand Minolta 100-200mm (sharp and nice colour) might fit be affordable. It's lighter and cheaper than the 70-210 Beercan.

Good luck whatever your final choice.

Peter
    2.8 on this lens is actually really sharp, plenty usable. As for lighting and using a flash if you bounce it well and dissipate the light, it can come out looking very natural (the goal)

This was an excellent read passed on by Rooz

http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash...hy-techniques/

Check out all 12 pages!
    flickr