Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: My SONY "kit lens" (AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6) is:

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perhaps the WORST lens I have ever had the displeasure to have used.

1 12.50%
  • Lame, but I will probably limp it along until someone really “busts” on me for it.

2 25.00%
  • “What? There is something wrong with it? E-gads! I didn’t know!”

1 12.50%
  • Usable, and I SEE no apparent reason to purchase anything else, at this time.

1 12.50%
  • An excellent optic! SONY should be proud to offer this plastic wonder. I will never replace it.

0 0%
  • Being replaced, as we speak, by a TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8, a SONY CZ 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 … etc.

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SONY Kit lens (Opinion Survey)

This is just a survey to determine the temperature of the participants on the DCRP forum concerning the use of the bundled "kit lens" most people tend to get when they buy their first SONY DSLR.

Please know that there are a few discussions that have previously gone on concerning this lens and try not to let them sway your personal point of view and experience regarding your choice.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Couldn't find an appropriate option, but I use it when I go to the lake since it's expendable .
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Red face Don't read too much into it ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Couldn't find an appropriate option, but I use it when I go to the lake since it's expendable .
    I think the last choice could adequately fill the bill. Although it assumes the present tense ... past tense is equally appropriate.

I guess we're all ... a little tense when it comes to this lens.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I guess I do not get it. Here is an opportunity to voice your dissatisfaction or, as hard as it would be to believe, satisfaction with this particular lens and no one is participating. Oh well ... truth be told ... watch and learn! LOL

flickr® & Sdi

I didn't feel like it was totally fair for me to vote, but I went ahead and chose the last option. I love the lens so far, but thats only because my only prior experience is with a P&S. As I look at the pictures I get against the ones I see other people get, I know a lot of my problems are experience, but I think some are limitations with the lens. I'm now saving up/begging wife for the Tamron 17-50mm.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Okay ... I'll chime in:

"As proponents of improved imagery, Mrs. Hamilton, please, please, please ... let Jason lose that lens he currently has and allow him to shoot through relatively decent glass.

Many thanks,
    signed, the rest of the World -> who has to look at his work."

- there, that should help! I will appeal to reason.

flickr® & Sdi

Talking

i didn't buy the kit lense. i listened to some guy named Don and just bought body and started with the tamron 17-50

Thumbs up Planning ahead ... yes!

Well ... ... glad I could save someone a buck or two.

flickr® & Sdi

No appropriate option for me either.
    I never even considered the kit lens, just bought the body.

I was among the lucky ones, I got the a700 body only then went lens shopping with Don, so far so good, no complaints. Agood body with good glass doesn't make you a good photographer, but it REALLY helps LOL!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/