Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Smile The road to Dubuque ...

Unfortunately, the "Galena Scenic Tower" is closed for repairs, so I had to shoot this panorama from the roadside. It was a terrific day, today, and this just begged to be taken. The truck, that is ... Arr Arr.

Name:  Galena_Panorama1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  454.3 KB

You can see the closed tower behind the Avalanche, in the distance. I would have much preferred to be up there, doing this shot. Like Frank, those distant trees get in the way from just the hilltop.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-03-2008 at 11:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up A look at "riverside" Dubuque, Iowa

As I was heading back home, from the event, I decided to take an image of a church I spotted in Dubuque.
    The golden sun was coming from the West, as you can imagine, so I headed up this huge hillside, the city
    is built on, creating the Mississippi Valley, following one of the city streets. As I turned off the ascending
    street, to what I believed to be the "top of the hill", I find this sprawling private estate sitting up there with
    a private driveway. Well, I knew a shot when I saw it ... and walked along the perimimeter of the estate,
    to that very edge I wanted to be on, to shoot the church ... and wound up taking this, instead ... of the
    mighty Mississippi, running along Dubuque.

Name:  Dubuque_Panorama1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  485.7 KB

The bridge is US20 and the road back home.

Here's an overhead shot and my view location ... that entire green patch was this guy's property.

Name:  Dubuque-from-space.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  295.5 KB

What a view this guy bought! So believe me, this is a rare look from money! Just thought I'd share it with you.

BTW: I waved a "thank you" to whomever may have been looking out of the house, at me, trying to be as
    non-invasive as I could. GET THE SHOT!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-04-2008 at 07:39 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Nice series of shots Don. Was it hard to get in? Did you need special passes or just get there early and wait in line. I would say it was worth the wait you dd good.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Talking How was the trip?

Hey, thanks Frank, for your support. Actually the trip, itself, was "perfect." No snags, bobs or weaves.
    Weather was 73 degrees, all the way there and no rain whatsoever. Had the sunroof open, windows down
    and cruised at nearly 70 mph.

As you can imagine, despite some "picture stops", we got out to Dubuque in record time ... then went to the
    GOP office in town, picked up Rally Tickets. We then headed right over to the venue, to be early and beat
    the crowd like a "rented mule." Because of my "handicapped status", due to my back injury, I was able
    to actually obtain very close parking and get inside there about ten minutes ahead of the real crowd,
    all waiting on the other side of the building. Everyone was very supportive (perhaps knowing we had to all
    stand for another three hours ) and it was truly a remarkable event. So many people showed up,
    they actually had to move a large part of the following crowd into another part of the facility, where they
    watched on a huge monitor.

One of the goofier moments was when I spotted this woman, standing nearby, wearing one of the best
    "Rally Hats" I had ever seen:

Name:  palin-hat-1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  321.7 KB
    Mrs. Governor Nelson Dewey - Wisconsin
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-04-2008 at 01:10 PM.

flickr & Sdi

What an experience! When we went to see Huckabee, there were so many people and we were out in the hall poking our heads in through a small door. You certainly were very fortunate to have a good vantage point!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well ... there goes the country. There was hope ... until about 30 minutes ago. Now, it's gone. U.S.S.A. ... geez!

flickr & Sdi

So, where to in Canada for 4 years?

*sigh... I hear the a900 is cheaper up there anyway!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Don't head off to canada, dig in, hold the line, be the voice of reason and sense even to those who won't listen or can't understand. The best thing about change is that it brings more change, just hope we have more then change left over! Lets not fight about it here though, this forum is to positive to let politics mess it up. so one last line then I will let it go. I know Don is a vet not sure about anyone else here, But I also took that oath Don, remember that one line, .. against all enemies both foreign and domestic......sighs and shakes head.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

True enough ... it is OUR Constitution ... I promised to keep it safe. It's just a little harder, now.

The sad part is that these children do not realize what they have done, but I assure you this ...
    they will.

Let's hope they never forget the night they opened Pandora's Box ... and unleashed "the Beast."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-04-2008 at 09:19 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Just so everyone is clear Don, the man is not the beast, it will be the crushing overwhelming debt, and economic ruin of the long run, when the cost of these many changes comes do, the next generation will wonder what were they thinking. I would LOVE nothing more then to be proven wrong in this.......we shall see.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/