Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Aid ...

Question Forum Aid ...

I suspect we've done okay in this forum, but I was wondering, do you feel you have really benefitted by "sharing the wealth?"

I know that I have personally leaned quite a bit in discussion and continue to be amazed at the different issues that seem to crop up. This is a friendly forum and one filled with interested and interesting people. I suspect that helps enormously with variety and also when people don't have an axe to grind, like I have witnessed in other forums.

It may be because we are still a relatively small group that things are done expeditiously and with pretty good explanation. There does not seem to be a rush, in most cases, and basic photographic principles can be discussed and explored as fact, not fancy.

It's just those darn "subjects" we have to shoot that we struggle with, eh?

Oh well, I would appreciate hearing any comments in support or differing from my take on this rather useful tool ... the SONY DSLR Forum. Hopefully, the best is yet to come.

Thank you
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well as I have said before, I lurked at other forums, did lots of online research before deciding to go with a Sony DSLR, and I can tell you this is the best, most open and friendly forum I came across. I still read at the other that sounds like this one, but don't post, and the attitude sometimes gets very annoying. This site also has been a wealth of self education for me. Don's advice which I asked him for has been very valueable to me, and his tips and techniques have worked for me, so I listen! Also I have learned things from Frank and Dr4gon, but not his first name! It is also fun to be here. I see very little criticism here but more advice and comments on how to fix a problem, or to over come a problem. The banter and abuse is good natured, at least I think so. i am glad we are getting some new people here, and hope they stay and jump right in, we are still small enough that it doesn't get overwhelming to try and keep up. The last 2 lines of Don's tag line pretty much sums up what I think of this forum, and my outlook on photography.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

9 viewing right now! This is great with all the new people lately!

I'd say all of this is .... " good for everyone!"

Ryan (not the quote of course!)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well i'd like to say i have learned alot, even though my pictures say different.
    And i do try to use the advice given to myself or others. i do tend to just lurk because i feel i don't have enough experience or knowledge to help othersbut i do enjoy the reading the forum and will try to participate more in the future.

Agree in spades...

I certainly concur with Don's summation of this forum, particularly re its (relatively) small membership.

The "other" forum that sounds like this one's name has far too many members, and too many threads that turn into a battlefield of naysayers, trolls, smart asses, and dissidents, all jockeying for the high moral ground or attempting to display their own self-asserted beliefs in their allegedly "superior" knowledge.

And forget it there if you're "only" a point 'n' shoot owner like me. You'll never be accepted as a "real" photographer! Although I was using a 35mm SLR nearly 40 years ago.

On the other hand, here, Jeff runs a 'tight ship' moderator-wise, gets rid of the trolls, and does his best (I'm guessing LOL) to keep us on topic! The wash up? DCRP is a much more useful site to me than D..... whoops, almost said it! I think it's vitally important that everyone on forums such as these acknowledge and respect that we've all got often vastly differing levels of experience, technical ability, and sense of artistry.

Great place: great bunch of members. (Sorry... that was a bit sucky eh?)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulff View Post
    I certainly concur with Don's summation of this forum, particularly re its (relatively) small membership.

The "other" forum that sounds like this one's name has far too many members, and too many threads that turn into a battlefield of naysayers, trolls, smart asses, and dissidents, all jockeying for the high moral ground or attempting to display their own self-asserted beliefs in their allegedly "superior" knowledge.

And forget it there if you're "only" a point 'n' shoot owner like me. You'll never be accepted as a "real" photographer! Although I was using a 35mm SLR nearly 40 years ago.

On the other hand, here, Jeff runs a 'tight ship' moderator-wise, gets rid of the trolls, and does his best (I'm guessing LOL) to keep us on topic! The wash up? DCRP is a much more useful site to me than D..... whoops, almost said it! I think it's vitally important that everyone on forums such as these acknowledge and respect that we've all got often vastly differing levels of experience, technical ability, and sense of artistry.

Great place: great bunch of members. (Sorry... that was a bit sucky eh?)
    dpreview? or dyxum? lol

I find dpreview's navigation hard to use.

dyxum I like because of the large sony community (used to enjoy reading/looking at POTN, still do sometimes). it was nice to find a SONY version of POTN.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I've found many of the posts and discussions helpful and thought provoking. And the fact that not everyone is at the same level is, IMO, helpful for all concerned. It keeps everyone mindful of the different levels that people are at, and helps with the flow of ideas.

I would concur with Don's summation. As a P&S shooter - I always appreciate C&C from the SLR/DSLR community which you can get here.

re.ac.tor
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50, Sony MVC-CD300

I just feel that half the time we're either answering first time buyers questions and beat the marketing crap out of their heads

or

post photos of our adventures and the older more advanced photographers train and teach the younger padawans

I like how the people here in general aren't exceedingly biased but I'd definitely like a step up in the photography

I would like to see the "padawans" post more stuff, show their experimenting, their improvements you know instead of increasing the amount of lenses we have

so that instead of the same kind of photo weeks later, we I dunno get amazed by a light source they found and how they used it at some siblings wedding etc.

thats my only criticism of these forums, maybe I spend too much time on dA I dunno..

I am seriously loving these photos

http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41645
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Well ... I want to take a moment to say that the results that I have seen, in the short time several memebers have been with the forum, are just flat out "impressive."

Normally, I used to see people struggle for months, trying to get their equipment to produce decent shots ... not the case on the SONY DSLR forum. What I have seen coming out of the $150 TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LDs on the SONYs is just extraordinary. That particular focal length lens is notoriously rough on many shots, yet the membership is turning out amazing work with it mounted (under normal lighting conditions).

Suggested setting changes have also produced relatively impressive work .. without hours and hours of testing and failures. The success rate is something to see, that is for sure.

Again, "way to go", folks ... the forum seems to be doing its job.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi