Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which one is the best?

3 different lenses all at F8 and 70mm. which one is the keeper?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Based on the resolution you posted, it's a little rough ... but, I would have to choose #2 ... due to it's more defined edges of the "Little Caesar's" sign. Overall, it just appears to be a cleaner, sharper shot.

What lenses are they and on what camera?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-30-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol that's the best i could do from my balcony at the moment.
    the 2nd shot was from a Minolta 35-70 F4 aka mini-beercan.
    top was from Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro
    and the last was from the kit-lens.
    i should try with my Minolta 50mm F1.7 with my 2x TC as well to see what i can do later.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

A T/C, notoriously degrades Image Quality (IQ) of most lenses. They are usually designed to work with long telephoto, not short focal length. Obviously, having the selection of lenses I have, I really don't have much use for mine, anymore, but if you can avoid using them at all, that would be my recommendation. The images never look quite right and the camera often gets confused for flash images and other other features.

Like I said, usually more trouble than they problems they solve. If you need long glass for better images ... buy it. A T/C will just tick you off.

Name:  TCs.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  144.0 KB

Now, remember, this is coming from a guy who usually uses less than top-drawer ($1000+ per lens) glass ... and if I won't compromise with these ... well, I think you can figure out that I've tried and met with woeful success. YMMV ... so ... also, the manufacturers make high quality T/Cs, but they usually will not fit on most of the short focal length lenses.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-30-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i didn't turn off SSS when i used the tripod for those shots.
    wonder if that makes a diff.
    i will try again in a bit.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Votes for #2 also and made choice before seeing what others said, so does this mean I'm getting better at this? Another good tip I got was to try and stay away from shooting at the far ends of your zooms, back off or go up a bit, also play around and find the heart of the zoom IQ is often better then at either extreme of the lens. SSS off with the tripod, and try the 50mm with out the converters, should give you a lovely blurred background.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

only reason i used 70mm was because that was the common focal range that the 3 lenses i have shared.
    unfortunately i can't test all 3 shots again since the signs are not actually lit up at night.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Elisha which of the three shots did you like the best? what do you see different among the three? This can be very subjective of course, but a chance for others like me to learn also LOL
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Frank used to shoot the Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4. I am not sure if he is still using it or substituting the TAMRON AF 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 for it, these days. I think he liked the flexibility the longer zoom provided.

I also have the Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4 Macro, in my bag of lenses, but it really never sees the light of day, anymore. It did good work, but really belongs to the 35mm-film cameras and they are "sleeping", also.

Again, I suggest a tangle with the 18-250 mm f/3.5-6.3 could be the start of something big. LOL I keep that lens continually mounted on my A100, as the "grab&go" solution. With it and the HVL-F36AM flash, they eliminate the need for a lens change or packing extras.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-30-2008 at 06:54 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Elisha which of the three shots did you like the best? what do you see different among the three? This can be very subjective of course, but a chance for others like me to learn also LOL
    i noticed #2 being the sharpest as well but i wanted to make sure just in case i did not see anything else you guys were seeing.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR