Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool The A700 ... why settle for less?

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Well, we may be born equal but we're all different, thank God!
    Which is why it's a good idea (DonSchap) to try before you buy. I wish I knew someone with an A700!
    I bought my A700 straight from SONY ... without trying it out. I had trusted the reviews on the camera and already had the
    A100 (prototype) for over a year, before I went and sold off all my Canon EOS stuff (and I had quite a bit) in preparation for
    the A700. I was NOT disappointed. The A700 immediately solved some issues I had with the A100 (expected things just not
    being there, i.e., pc-sync port, vertical grip, high-ISO) and effectively was everything I believed it to be, having all the
    completed aspects of a true DSLR.

Now, I would like to think I am nowhere near as demanding a photographer as many others are, with my meager efforts and
    exceptionally limited range of equipment. I simply felt that the A700 offered almost everything a reasonable person could
    expect from a device of this kind and, like I said, it filled the bill.

I can attach every device without hesitation and it is a solid base for my photography. The vertical grip and '56 flash complete
    the picture (pardon the pun), providing one of the best all-around camera designs seen today, in the APS-C market.

I have to ask ... how can you go wrong?

Name:  onpare_wb_lg.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  351.4 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-02-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

omg don..... that's huge....

What is the lens second to the right? I'm guess that's the 70-200 F/2.8

If that's so, then what's the one next to the A900? If it's the 70-400 G, why is it black? I thought it was more of a metallic silver.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Wow! That's a serious amount of kit.
    I might never get out of the house dithering over which bits to leave behind.

This was a "proto-image", not officially sactioned by SONY, so I'm (nor was anyone else) quite sure what
    kind of lenses were on the right hand side of it. It was all best guess, based on Minolta originals.

I believe (from left to right, to the right of the A900) they were the:
    • 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM {before redesign of SONY "Platinum" enclosure}
    • 400mm f/4.5 G SSM
    • APO 600mm f/4 G SSM telephoto (The front aperture versus focal length determines largest f-stop)

This is what I hoped and expected to be announced at Photokina '08 but only two actually were,
    the CZ 16-35mm f/2.8 SSM and the 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM

Anyway, I just wanted to share it, from my archives. It was big, huge and stirred the imagination!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-02-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    This was a "proto-image", not officially sactioned by SONY, so I'm (nor was anyone else) quite sure what
    kind of lenses were on the right hand side of it. It was all best guess, based on Minolta originals.

I believe (from left to right, to the right of the A900) they were the:
    • 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM {before redesign of SONY "Platinum" enclosure}
    • 400mm f/4.5 G SSM
    • APO 600mm f/4 G SSM telephoto (The front aperture versus focal length determines largest f-stop)

This is what I hoped and expected to be announced at Photokina '08 but only two actually were,
    the CZ 16-35mm f/2.8 SSM and the 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM

Anyway, I just wanted to share it, from my archives. It was big, huge and stirred the imagination!
    Thanks. The 16-35mm would be awesome on the FF! I definitely prefer this 70-400 color, but I hear the silver/platinum isn't too bad in person, just could be better
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

A700 is very nice

I had the chance to play with an A700 today. I tried my Maxxum lenses and they focus even faster and quieter on this body than on my Maxxum 7000i.

I now see why so many photographers like this model. So many features that are easy to use!

Wolf camera sells the A700 + 18-70 lens for $1199 which many other stores seem to match. I was wondering if there is a wide angle lens in the teens-34 range, since I have lenses covering 35mm up to 300mm.

The pluses of already having lenses, filters, closeup lenses, and flash makes Sony very interesting. The one thing I always disliked though is the plastic flash shoe and plastic flash connector - I have had 2 flashes break at the connector.

The 1 other consideration right now is the Pentax K200D with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses for $949. However, adding a decent Pentax flash and filters gets the total very close to the A700 + 1 lens, and I think the A700 is far superior in functionality and performance.

It is fun looking at the technology!

Believe me, this one time purchase is the least of your concerns. Buy the best camera you can get ...
    +/- $100 is hardly something that should make or break a decision ... you will easily spend that for
    your new 16-35mm f/2.8-4 lens.

Good luck with your new A700!

flickr & Sdi

There's the new Zeiss 16-35mm (not out yet, and expensive)

or the sigma 10-20mm UWA

The A700 kit is $1099 at sonystyle.com I believe
    flickr

Personally, I think you would be much better served, financially, with the TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) lens.
    It is sharp, bright, lightweight and, best of all, reasonably priced for what you get from it.

So, to start ... forget "the kit" ... and I suggest you buy just an A700 and the 17-50, and get shootin'!

After that, it's gravy.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-04-2008 at 06:48 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post

The A700 kit is $1099 at sonystyle.com I believe
    New model in the spring. Liveview??