Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sal1870

Lightbulb First things first!

I am still wondering ...

I really hate seeing people troubled over using the "kit" lens.

First order of business:
    1. Get rid of that awful lens. Throw it away, if you cannot stop using it. It really just negatively impacts your photography ... and that is NOT why you bought a DSLR.
    2. Please, read this opinion: THIS (← click here)
    3. Set aside some cash (use a "piggy-bank" if necessary) and purchase a decent all-in-one lens solution, preferrably:
      . . a) TAMRON or SONY 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens (this lens covers a lot of ground. IMO, this is the REAL "kit" lens that should be the first one you use.),
      . . b) SONY 50mm f/1.8 lens (this lens can get you many images w/o the flash, indoors) and
      . . c) HVL-F42AM flash (for indoor shots, that need some punch.)

Just these three items will improve your chances of producing great looking images ten-fold. (I'm not saying they will compete with higher-end glass, but you should not be nearly as disappointed as you probably are with the "kit" lens.)

Name:  18-250-50-f14-f42am.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  165.9 KB

Just some friendly advice on how to get ahead of the game ... without wondering why your images are ... not quite what you had hoped for. Oh, you still need to learn your equipment ... there no getting away from that ... but, at least you will have a much better chance of shooting through something that can actually return good results when used properly.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-04-2009 at 05:17 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi