Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nikon D90 or Canon EOS-40D?

My Budget is $1000-$2000.
    Size doesn't matter that much, although I have large hands.
    Image quality is very important 10. Megapixels are not that important because I don't plan to print larger than 8x10.
    I would like manual controls, although being new to photography, it will take time to learn how to use them.
    I will be using the camera to take photos of my family most of the time. I have young children. < 2 years old. Most likely children's activities in a couple years.
    I will be shooting indoor and outdoor, high and low light conditions.
    I have no brand preferance.

I have a fuji point and shoot camera currently, it does well for a point and shoot. A few of my friends have Nikon D80's and love them. My mother has a Canon 35mm camera (Rebel of some sort I think) and she loves the Canon. I have seen the photo's taken by all of these cameras and the quality is much better that my point and shoot camera. I have taken photos with the D80 and the results were GREAT, I thought, for my limited experience. My wife and I decided it would be a good idea to upgrade and get a nice DSLR in hopes that we could capture some "memories" of our growing family. I want to buy something that I will be able to use and "grow" with, in hopes that after a while, I can learn how to use the manual controls to produce some great photographs. I believe the two cameras (D90 and EOS-40D) are similar, but I have no experience with either camera.

Will my mother's Canon lenses work on the EOS-40D?
    Does either camera offer more potential 1-2 years down the road when I learn more about photography?
    Are there any major drawbacks concerning either one of the cameras?

Please help me make a decision on which camera would be best for our family!!!

They're both good cameras. The major difference is the D90 records video. Try them out to see what you like best. IMO the lens you choose is will have more impact on your shooting. Also, make room for a flash in your budget.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Starz1994 View Post
    My Budget is $1000-$2000.
    Size doesn't matter that much, although I have large hands.
    Image quality is very important 10. Megapixels are not that important because I don't plan to print larger than 8x10.
    I would like manual controls, although being new to photography, it will take time to learn how to use them.
    I will be using the camera to take photos of my family most of the time. I have young children. < 2 years old. Most likely children's activities in a couple years.
    I will be shooting indoor and outdoor, high and low light conditions.
    I have no brand preferance.

I have a fuji point and shoot camera currently, it does well for a point and shoot. A few of my friends have Nikon D80's and love them. My mother has a Canon 35mm camera (Rebel of some sort I think) and she loves the Canon. I have seen the photo's taken by all of these cameras and the quality is much better that my point and shoot camera. I have taken photos with the D80 and the results were GREAT, I thought, for my limited experience. My wife and I decided it would be a good idea to upgrade and get a nice DSLR in hopes that we could capture some "memories" of our growing family. I want to buy something that I will be able to use and "grow" with, in hopes that after a while, I can learn how to use the manual controls to produce some great photographs. I believe the two cameras (D90 and EOS-40D) are similar, but I have no experience with either camera.

Will my mother's Canon lenses work on the EOS-40D?
    Does either camera offer more potential 1-2 years down the road when I learn more about photography?
    Are there any major drawbacks concerning either one of the cameras?

Please help me make a decision on which camera would be best for our family!!!
    they are both fantastic cameras. it will come down to what feels better in your hands. performance wise, neither significantly outdoes the other so honestly, i wouldnt bother trying to pick one due to performance. the d90 has video and a far better LCD but the 40d is a more solid unit. the d90 has a better metering system, the 40d has faster fps.

if you love the way both feel in your hands then flip a coin.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I would recommend the 40D because you already have lenses, its cheaper now and its damn good too
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

His mother has lenses. He's married. I doubt he lives with his mother.
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund View Post
    His mother has lenses. He's married. I doubt he lives with his mother.
    LOL to Erich's reply.

Anyways, if your mother has a bunch of lenses that you can borrow from then I would say stick with Canon. If you have a budget of $1000-2000 you can actually get the 50D body for $1399USD/CAD meaning if you were to actually travel to Canada and buy the camera you're basically buying it for 30% cheaper than the US since the MSRP is the same (1USD = 1.30CAD)

Anyway, if you're still looking at the 40D there are a lot of cheap kits out there, I've seen $900-1000 kits that include body and kit lens. If you're looking at a really good and cheap lens for wide angle and short zoom, I'd recommend the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. It's L series (Canon's professional line of lenses) so you'll get excellent color reproduction and image quality. Though it's not a really wide angle lens and it won't give you much zoom the quality of the images you'd get from a really good lens will outweigh the range of a kit lens. It's just a suggestion and it depends what you want spend your money on and what you need. But for portraits and landscapes the 17-40mm lens should be great.

As far as the D90 goes, do NOT buy it because it shoots video. Remember you're buying a DSLR for the image quality you can get for stills. The D90 is decent at catching 720p video if you can quickly manually focus on your subject, and you or your subject is not quickly. Here's a link to a review and video sample of the D90.

You'll notice in the video, captured from a D90, that it has a "jello" effect when moving it back and forth on a subject. This is because the image sensor is a CMOS sensor meaning that it captures a still image line by line somewhat like how a CRT Television draws and image on a screen. So if you are moving the camera to follow a subject the image sensor will capture the top part of the subject at one position but by the time image is data reaches the bottom portion of the sensor the subject has moved a significant amount, thereby creating a "jello" looking video effect. Most digital video recorders use CCD sensors which differ in that they capture each frame of a scene all at once, instead of line by line. Since DSLRs are usually held in one position to capture a still photo, they don't necessarily need a CCD sensor in them to properly record the image, and the data can be captured in the fastest shutter speed possible for that camera. When you record video, there is no shutter opening and closing, it's one continuous flow of data, so the images are being written as quickly as the sensor can capture each frame.

Now that you know why you aren't buying a D90 for the ability to record video, there are several reasons you may want a D90 over a 40D. A brighter and higher resolution LCD, and better high ISO quality (less noise at higher ISO).

Since I own a Canon I'm a little more familiar and biased towards Canons. If your mother has lenses she is willing to loan you then that makes choosing even more simple since you can save a LOT of money by borrowing lenses for free rather than spending money on building your own collection of lenses.

One last thing to note, the Canon 50D is a direct competitor to the Nikon D300 but it costs a few hundred less. Don't compare the 50D to the D90, because that's not even picking a fair fight, 50D is in a higher class than the D90. Good luck with your decision.
    Body: Canon 50D
    Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM,
    Pocket Cam: Canon SD1100is

if ur budget from 1000-2000 i would recommend 50D its new DSLR from Canon with 15.0 megapixle faser shots for actions & sport u already have canon lens and it depends on what photograph u are shotting land scpaes , portrait , sports .
    Flickr

Nikon D3

Nikon 17-35 f/2.8
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR
    Nikon 50mm f/1.4D
    SB-900 AF Speedlight
    Nikon SU-800 Speedlight Commander
    Lee GND & B+W Full ND

Quote Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
    if ur budget from 1000-2000 i would recommend 50D its new DSLR from Canon with 15.0 megapixle faser shots for actions & sport u already have canon lens and it depends on what photograph u are shotting land scpaes , portrait , sports .
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Canon 50D does come in a kit for $1798, you can get a 17-85mm kit lens, not the best lens out there but it should capture decent photos.
    Body: Canon 50D
    Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM,
    Pocket Cam: Canon SD1100is

I prefer Canon 50D. Nikon D90 - incorrect exposure and white chanell

Quote Originally Posted by aliator View Post
    Nikon D90 - incorrect exposure and white chanell
    lol
    every now and then you read a comment that really makes you laugh. thanks for that.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr