Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Everyone counts on PP, then we oversharpen and overprocess the photos. It is to a point that if it isn't over sharpened people think that it is not sharp. I had fallen into that trap and am trying to back off of it. One of the reasons we need to do so much PP is because the lenses that are used are not as sharp. I am trying to become a better photographer not a PS expert. I have a few basic things that I do with my photos now and if they don't do it, then it is not a keeper. I too have the lens kit, however I know what to expect from it. When using it I set the camera sharpness at +2 this helps but still not the same as good glass. As I said in the other thread, when my wallet resusitates I will be looking for more glass. I have the camera store I will visit. I bought my used Tamron 200-400mm there for $250.00. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Totus View Post

Two questions:

- Is this set worth it?

-Is it worth to use MD lenses on a Sony Alpha body?
    I tested out the A200, and I found out that it can still take pictures without lenses on Manual Mode so it works, but is it really worth it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome back, Totus ...

The thing you have to understand about technology is that it moves ahead. The camera you are talking about is almost an antique ... 30 years old.

Okay, that being said, the lenses are only manual focus, second generation ... and are going to be difficult for the you to use to properly get the most out of your brand new SONY DSLR camera, no matter what the model. I suppose if you enjoy the struggle of manually calculating every image, more power to you, but just know that the new digital optimized lenses will provide quicker, sharply focused images ... with a flash ... even in the dark! Those thirty years have provided a heck of an advantage. Ignoring it seems a little .. "dated?"

The three hundred dollars you would have paid for this "old technology" would provide funds that would have you well on your way to a brand new SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens. It is brighter than the Minolta AF 24-50 f/4 lens. You already have the AF 35-70mm f/4 MACRO ... so the 17-50mm f/2.8 would allow you to ditch the "kit lens" and have a better lens to use on your rig.

If you were left this by a parent or grandparent, that would be one thing ... but to actually pay for it ... sorry, but no. You have better things to spend your money on. Get current stuff ... I truly suspect you'll be happier. I had older lenses like that ... I relegated them to museum pieces ... not working pieces.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-26-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Totus, yes it's worth using MD lenses on the Alpha but you really need the James Lao adapter which has focus confirmation and working anti shake, but not with a zoom lens, primes only. So which Adapter is on offer?
    The real prize in that lot is the 85mm f1.2 and I'd pay $150 for a good one.
    The MD Rokkor f1.4 is a keeper, say $25.
    The 24-50mm is a keeper.

The 24-50 is supposed to be a similar lens to the 35-70, which you already have experience with, and both Peek and I like a lot. I haven't used one and can't offer much, but I do know Kurt Munger says it is not as good as the 35-70.

My vote would be no. Peek knows the older glass better than I do, and it sounds like a few are nice. But its a lot of money for manual focus.

If you look on ebay there is a wolf-camera clearance that sells old stock. I've recently seen the MinO 17-35 f/2.8-4 (according to Don and Peek a super-sharp lens) for ~$270 and the MinO 24-105 f/3.5-4.5 (Don had trouble with his but gets great reviews) for ~$205. I make no promises about ebay transactions, but by feedback they appear to be reputable, and both of those are brand new lenses, with the digital coatings, full ADI compatibilty (helps with flash, there is a thread on it somewhere) at very good prices.
    Last edited by laydros; 02-26-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Accidentally double posted, so I'll use this one for some links.

MinO 17-35mm

MinO 24-105mm
    Last edited by laydros; 02-26-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Kit lenses are great!!!!!!!

To help sell your old camera with...

You might want to call SONY before buying these .. because they may not be supported by them anymore. I know that the Minolta AF 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 "D" is no longer parts supported ... that is why I was getting reimbursed for it. If it gets or is broken, it's history.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-26-2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    The 24-50 is supposed to be a similar lens to the 35-70, which you already have experience with, and both Peek and I like a lot. ........
    Slight correction here, Totus has the Minolta AF 35-70mm f/3.5-5.6, not to be confused with the much superior 35-70mm f/4. This is preferable to the 24-50mm for range but sharpness is comparable.

Thanks for the info!

Hi again all,

Thanks for the advice. Everyone's thoughts got me thinking...and the old lenses are not for my best interest. I said no to the guy. But guess what.... I contacted another person, this time she's selling her "fairly new" Alpha 100 for $199 (Php 10K). But wait, there's more....

Here're the details of this sale

Unit is in excellent condition
    Only 500 Actuations - Selling point #1

Package Includes:
    Camera Itself
    2Gb Sony PRO DUO
    Lens (18-70mm and 75-300mm will be included in the package) - Main Selling point!
    Lens Cap & Hood
    Box & Manuals & CD's
    Video Cable
    MS Duo CF adapter
    Neck Strap
    Original Sony Battery
    Sony Alpha Bag (LCS AMA/B) - Wow! Selling point #2. This is the cherry on top.

I know this is the one for me. First, it gives me another camera body to play with. Second, it has a set of kit lenses as well. (I know how everyone feels about the Kit Lenses, and I feel the same way, but at least it includes the 2 Kit lenses for the price!)

Now the wifey and I each have our own cameras, (and our own lenses as well). I would also have a back-up.

This will give me more bang for the buck. Rather than spend $288 for an old film camera and a set of old and MF lenses , why not spend $199 on a fairly new, rarely used Digital SLR camera with 2 AF lenses? Sound logical, doesn't it?

I'll just sell the lenses that I don't use...(because now.. I'll have three 75-300mm lenses... I'm not letting go of the Big Beercan of course!) Maybe I can salvage something out of the 2 18-70mm lenses... (shooting them with a shotgun would be a waste. LOL) And finally have enough to buy that Tamron 17-50 that everyone's talking about.

Thank you everyone for stopping me from doing something I'll regret. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress! I owe you guys!

Thanks again,
    Totus

Sony Alpha 200
    Minolta Dynax 300si
    Minolta AF 35-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Minolta AF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 "Big Beercan"
    Sony SAL1870 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 "Kit Lens"
    Quantaray AF LD 70-300mm f/4-5.6 TELE-MACRO
    Vivitar VPT-2400W Tripod

totusphotography.blogspot.com
    www.flickr.com/totusjoyce14

Honestly, the TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 will be one the best improvements to your photography equipment, for the cost. In the future, you can use it on every Alpha DSLR there is. It provides sharp looking images and about the best aperture available for any conventional zoom.

It would be hard to argue with a decision like that.

@ "Peek': Peter, we simply have to get you into some newer glass, man. LOL You need to know what this new stuff can do for you. Were not making this up!

flickr & Sdi