Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Slight correction here, Totus has the Minolta AF 35-70mm f/3.5-5.6, not to be confused with the much superior 35-70mm f/4. This is preferable to the 24-50mm for range but sharpness is comparable.
    I missed that. I'm familiar with the other one (actually had one for about a week), but saw 35-70 somewhere and didn't think about that other one. From what I have seen the 3.5-5.6 is basically on the same quality level as the Sony kit lens.

As for the A100 with kit glass, etc. If you can use the extra body, seems like a good deal, but I wouldn't count on getting much for the glass. I'm having a tough time selling my practically brand new SAL75300 right now.

Certainly try to get that Tamron 17-50mm. That's (more or less) what I'm aiming to get now as well.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

If you are waiting to sell your "kit" lens, good luck. As long as they are practically giving them away in the cereal box ... customers will be hard to find. Personally, I would not wiait ... but get your new lens, because you need it when? Oh, that's right ... you need it NOW! The better images are not going to wait around for you to finally get that "kit" lens sold. They just vanish.

Photography is kind of a front-end-loaded hobby, you cannot do much if you don't have the glass and equipment to do it with. It's just the nature of the beast. If you could get it all done with one lens ... why would anyone carry a bag o' glass?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    "Peek': Peter, we simply have to get you into some newer glass, man. LOL You need to know what this new stuff can do for you. Were not making this up!
    I hear you, Don. I really don't have anything against a modern lens even if I don't own one yet.
    I am still waiting for the Sony 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM to arrive but I've now had dispatch notification.
    That doesn't mean that I'll be chucking out the old lenses anytime soon.

This image is from my ancient MD mount 50mm Macro. Yes I could replace it with a $500 Sony but why would I?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 02-27-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I hear you, Don. I really don't have anything against a modern lens even if I don't own one yet.
    I am still waiting for the Sony 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM to arrive but I've now had dispatch notification.
    That doesn't mean that I'll be chucking out the old lenses anytime soon.

This image is from my ancient MD mount 50mm Macro. Yes I could replace it with a $500 Sony but why would I?
    Very nice. You and dr4gon are going to convince me to get a real macro lens soon. But that 17-50mm is next. I think I'm going to at least hold out till middle of next week, I've seen rumors of Sony releasing a 16-55 f/2.8 (or something like that) and if the price isn't much more, it might be worth it to get that. I expect resell value would be better, and I would appreciate the extra range. I'd love to just carry my beercan and whatever "normal DT zoom" I pick up, instead of the 5 or so lenses I tend to keep in my bag now. If there is another 5mm, it helps a little.

And, to be honest, I'm also curious if we will see some new bodies announced from the other players, or maybe even if that report of no new Sony's wasn't legit.

Edit: One of the rumor references is here but I think there were some at dyxum as well.

And I forgot to add, I'm excited to see what Peek thinks of, and can do with, that G telephoto. It is supposed to be a spectacular lens.
    Last edited by laydros; 02-27-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

so Jason, you're not switching systems?
    btw i can't wait to use my beercan.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Lightbulb Free Advice from a drawer full of glass ...

"Kit" lenses are changing ... but for the moment ... change off the DT AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and make your photography improve by leaps and bounds.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi