Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Has Super SteadyShot improved your photography?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I take better images with SSS in the camera

5 83.33%
  • No, SSS has had no effect on my photography worth mentioning

1 16.67%
  • I had a SONY DSLR, but I left it for another manufacturer

0 0%
  • I wish I had a SONY DSLR and will consider it as my next camera

0 0%
  • Yes, I realize the only SONY has SSS inside a Full Frame DSLR and that’s NEXT

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has SSS delivered?

One of the more salient points of the SONY camera is "Super SteadyShot" (SSS). The big question is:

Has "Super SteadyShot" improved your photography?
    1. Does it allow you to take better images?
    2. Have you done tests with it "ON" and with it "OFF"? (If not, do this and then answer the question)
    3. Have you gone back to a "non-stabilized" camera body? And if so, which one? If not ... has in-the-body convinced you of its value?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

It's helped me get some shots, especially macros without a flash. I guess to some degree it's "improved" my photography. It's only useful for static subjects and to some degree people in low light. I know usually know when it's time to bump the ISO.

Yes, I've done the tests and posted the results here (somewhere). It definitely helps on a static object.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool Kicking SSS

I'll be honest, before I had SSS in my camera, anything I shot under 1/15 sec had to be a tripod-shot. With OTHER brands of DSLR, I simply could not consistently get a stable-looking shot with digital ... and believe me, I tried. The cost of Image-Stabilized lenses was enormous and my "keeper-ratio" was abysmal.

When Minolta/SONY release camera-body stability ... I was truly impressed. Although I never did buy the Minolta version, the SONY version has been just a nice. The luxury of mounting the any PRIME lens and getting 'great stuff' is hard to fully express. The "keeper-ratio" shot up and there was no looking back on the OTHER brands.

Yeah, make mine SONY ... in color!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I have nothing to compare. It's been in every camera I've owned starting with my Minolta Dimage A1.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

I think I can answer these, since I have in body IS, but I'll skip the poll since I don't have SSS.

1. Rarely. IS is nice sometimes, but for the most part, I don't need it. It'd come in handy more if I had a telephoto lens.

2. Yes, it works.

3. I haven't, but I plan to. Has nothing to do with IS really.

I'd say it hasn't improved my photography at all.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks, Lukas ... feedback is great!

flickr® & Sdi

Does it allow you to take better images?

NO

Have you done tests with it "ON" and with it "OFF"? (If not, do this and then answer the question)

I don't have in camera, but I have used my camera(lens)with IS both on and off. I can get the shot either way. I proved to you that the shot is completely possible in the parameters you imposed on me. There is no doubt that the system works, it can be helpful, necessary....NO

Have you gone back to a "non-stabilized" camera body? And if so, which one? If not ... has in-the-body convinced you of its value?

NO, never left one, still happy. Have I missed anything because I don't have SSS, NO

I skipped the poll because it's squarely and narrowly aimed at Sony.

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Exclamation You are about forty forums off ...

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    I skipped the poll because it's squarely and narrowly aimed at Sony.
    Jim ... you are in the "Sony Digital SLRs" forum (<- click on this and prove it to yourself).

If this were a general question, it would have been in the "Digital SLR Chat" (<- click here for 'general' DSLR stuff)

THERE IS DIFFERENCE ...

Thanks for joining in ... and sharing!

flickr® & Sdi

I didn't participate in this because I think it asks the wrong questions. Still ...

1. No.
    2. No, why would I? It's mature technology that works.
    3. Not a chance in hell.

Look, in modern parlence, this is a no brainer. SSS works and it's great when your hands are a bit shaky; I'm sure the extra stop or two saved the day on many occasions. Did it influence my decision to buy Sony? Not at all, the a-mount for my Minolta lenses was the sole reason, but I'm very pleased it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Thanks, Lukas ... feedback is great!
    I should say that my style of shooting doesn't really require IS. I drag a tripod around with me most of the time.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr