Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Small compact for low light & capturing vivid/vibrant color & detail

Thank you in advance...

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

~ Under 800.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

~ ultra compact would be best. I want to bring camera along when I jog... but if I could find a small flat pouch to slip a compact in that wouldn't be cumbersome to run with, id go a little larger

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

~10 max

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

~10

Do you care for manual controls?

~would like to have the option

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    ~ i need a camera that performs well in low light situations without a flash... i like shooting detailed ornate fixtures & lamps lit with their own bulbs or flames, neon lights, dimly lit areas etc... portraits of dogs still and in motion, activities like volleyball at the beach and nature shots at beach, architecture, concerts

I go for vivid colors

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

~If possible I would like the option to

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

~YES but would like option of shooting without flash

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

~volleyball at the beach

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    ~ I like Canon, Leica, Panasonic Lumix, Nikon, Fuji f30/f31, Sigma

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

~canon g9/g10, fuji f30/f31 (too hard to find), canon 790, panasonic lx3?

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

~image stabilization

LX3 or A720
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Compact and good a low light without a flash don't really go together. You're not going to find anything that really does that, so everything will be a compromise.

Do you really want ultracompact (slip in your pocket) or compact (easy to fit in a jacket pocket)? Most ultracompacts don't have real manual controls.

Open to compacts...

Well, the smallest camera I can get because I'm always on go... I really want to be able to run with it since I jog and tend to snap interesting things with my iPhone... I'd have to find a creative way to put the camera, compact or ultra in a comfortable, lean pouch that doesn't bounce when I run.

I know its a bit pricey but what about the Leica C Lux line?

The lumix LX3 seems to have the largest sensor in the compacts
    & the Canon G10 in the compacts (is the G9 a better choice of the two?)

Get a F30 or F31fd, go used if you have to. It's really the only thing that'll even come close to your requirements. The SD790 doesn't have manual controls, and I'd be very wary of calling the G9/G10 "compact". The LX3 might work for you, but the low-light performance of that camera isn't really anything special.

Or better yet, change your requirements - low-light without flash in a compact camera just doesn't happen these days.

The C-Lux 3 is a re-badged Panasonic FX-37. Unless you're a Leica enthusiast (and have money to burn), there's not really much of a point in getting it.

Im looking on Ebay for the Fuji... anywhere else to check for a reliable one?

And I found this at PhotoBlorg regarding the Leica C-Lux from a review. ...

"So why buy the Leica? There is very good reason, the most important being that which is important to you – the image quality. All Leica digital cameras have proprietary firmware settings within the camera that suit the more educated and advanced photographer, making this an automatic benefit for even your family photographs.

The colour and contrast performance is more biased toward a “European” standard, which has always been more subtle than Japanese colour and contrast standards. This is true certainly of the Panasonic and the Leica and side by side image comparisons bear this out. It is the same as using professional film for your family snaps. This firmware cannot be installed on the Panasonic versions.

Also, unlike the Panasonic, the Leica C-Lux-2 does not automatically choose 800 ISO under low light conditions. This means that the Leica maintains less noise in your available light photography, remembering that the camera has an excellent image stabiliser to compensate for those slow shutter speeds. Also, the Leica digital cameras keep your “Flash Off” settings even after the camera is switched off and on again. The Panasonic defaults to “Auto Flash” when under the same conditions and always has to be reset if you prefer to shoot without flash.

Another distinct advantage to buying the Leica is that all Leica digital cameras are supplied with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 with an update available for Vista. The Macintosh versions are also packed with the camera. This is not the case with the Panasonic cameras. Adobe PhotoShop Elements is a comprehensive image editing suite that is used by enthusiasts and professionals alike.

In keeping with Leica’s commitment to quality, the C-Lux 2 has a full two year warranty, as against the Panasonic which is limited to twelve months."
    Last edited by Telamoon; 10-26-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: deleted info was provided in previous post

an additional thought regarding requirements

what I am trying to achieve when using my compact or ultra compact in low light without a flash is the ability to shoot for example, a lit candle, an ornate metal piece with punched out details being lit by a flame or bulb behind it ... a more subdued feel versus what you get when using the camera's flash. Photography happens often by accident, meaning, I won't always be accompanied by my SLR... but I want something better than my iPhone.
    Hope this makes sense.

if your budget is 800 then get a DSLR

really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Low light photography is the hardest thing to do with a compact camera. I'm sure the Lecia folks mean well, but that spiel about "European vs Japanese" settings is just hot air - none of that does anything for low light performance.

If that's the type of photography you want to take, you should invest in a small tripod because that's the only way you'll be able to capture clean shots in those conditions. With a DSLR you could shoot at a higher ISO and use a faster shutter speed and not bother with a tripod. But with a P&S you'll want to keep the ISO low to avoid noise, which means longer shutter speeds, which means a tripod or some other way to keep the camera still.

A mini-tripod or gorilla pod is small enough to carry with you at times and will allow you to take those low light shots with a small camera. You'll want something with manual controls or something that has a long shutter speed mode. If you want the smallest camera possible (something like a Canon SD1100, SD890, or a Panasonic FX37) will take reasonable shots in most situations and allow you to shoot from a small tripod in low light.

For some unexplainable reason I decided to get a small P&S, and ended up ordering a Samsung L210 (has not arrived yet). Shrug. Small, 10 MP, supposedly with decent high ISO performance, manual controls...$138. But, no histogram which I've decided I will get over...

A mini tripod is a good idea, too.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/