Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Panasonic Lumix LX 3 vs. Leica C-Lux 3

I currently use a Nikon D80 and am looking for a smaller, more portable camera that will, more or less, fit in my pocket. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to a Panasonic Lumix LX3 or a Leica C-Lux 3.

I want at least 10 megapixels and image quality is important to me. I prefer the flexibility of manual controls and want image stabilization. The Panasonic is attractive to me -- except for the limited range on the zoom.

Panasonic Lumix LX 3:
    Pros: optical image stabilization, JPEG or RAW, Mac OS compatible, small size, 10 megapixels, small size, manual settings
    Cons: no optical viewfinder, weak zoom (25 - 60 mm)

Leica C-Lux 3: admittedly, I haven't been able to find out much about this camera, except that it has a more powerful zoom than the Panasonic (24 to 125 mm), which is the primary reason I'm leaning toward it. It also has image stabilization, 10 MP, and is small in size. On the down side, it doesn't have manual settings for aperture etc.

If anyone out there can chime in with some advice/words of wisdom I'd sure appreciate it. This is giving me a headache!! I'd like to decide within the next day or so.

Thanks so much!

The Leica isn't even available yet. I'm not sure why you're in such a rush.
    Ouch.

If you want a longer zoom in a reasonably compact body, the Panasonic TZ4 or TZ5 might be worth a look. Leica-badged 28-280mm equivalent zoom and stabilization.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Actually, I believe the Leica is now available.

Sam, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take another look at the TZ4 & TZ5. I don't think they have manual control over aperture and shutter speed or RAW support, but I guess compromises might be necessary and I'll need to rethink my priorities.

Cheers.

Leica C-Lux 3 = Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37

In most cases Leica badged cameras are more expensive, while having the same specification.

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3761
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmhar View Post
    Actually, I believe the Leica is now available
    Adorama says October/November availability, ie not yet in stock.
    Ouch.

Jacek - thanks. I've put the DMC-FX37 on my list. I knew Panasonic must have a camera similar to the Leica I was looking at -- just didn't know which one.

I guess the main thing that is giving me pause is that the LX3 doesn't have much zoom power. It has everything else I want, so I'll just need to decide how much I want that zoom.

Anyway, I appreciate the food for thought.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmhar View Post
    the main thing that is giving me pause is that the LX3 doesn't have much zoom power
    Indeed, but it is f2.0-2.8 lens...
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair