Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    We don't carry cradles. We carry spare batteries. Batteries are lighter than laptops with USB ports...plus they fit in a pocket!
    I quote because it is the truth. My charger for my Rayovac Hybrids is as small as 4 AA batteries. So bringing a wall charger is actually lighter than carrying spare batteries. But spare batteries are the logical choice, for me at least.

This is the charger with batteries,

This is it without.

So it folds up to the same size as 4 AA batteries and the two prongs fold up for storage in the back.

So get more batteries or a small charger!

note, the charger can be found in walmart for about 10 bucks
    PENTAX K100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Cosina-K 28mm f2.8, FA 50mm f1.4, K-Mount 135mm f2.8, DA 50-200mm lens, Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash
    The Tb Photos Flickr Photostream
    The Tb Photos Blog
    Tb Photos

Re: Cameras that can charge via usb or have inbuilt charging?

Quote Originally Posted by david151 View Post
    I canít believe you guys donít hate having to carry a charging cradle round all the time. I will be going on a camping expedition in Siberia very soon and am very picky about the weight and compact size of all equipment I take. For instance my main jacket weighs under 270 grams, shoes under 135 grams, pan under 200 grams, laptop under 1kg. I try and economize weight / mass in every area I can. You may say a charging cradle is only 100 grams or so, but as far as I am concerned that is 100grams too much. Also besides it is more separate parts to have to worry about. You would be surprised how being so picky about every item saves you a massive amount a weight in your final pack.

Hope this answers your question
    Putting charging circuitry in the camera will boost the part count and cost. It's not generally useful enough to most purchasers to be worth it.

For ultralight backpacking purposes, this also adds to the weight of the camera. It might even be a measurable (if not significant) fraction of the weight of a separate charger.

I wasn't traveling light on a recent 3 week raft trip (came back 10lbs heavier, personally, after eating so well). Still, I used it as an opportunity for testing some gear for wilderness photo backpacking.

My recommendation is something like a Brunton Solar Roll hanging down the back of your pack to charge a Brunton Solo battery unit (inside an Otter Box or Pelican Case if it's going to be immersed) and perhaps at the same time trickle-charge a spare set of camera batteries. Overnight, charge the GPS, satphone, camera and laptop batteries using the Solo's USB output.

If you're going to be in deep canyons, high latitude winter, or you otherwise expect anything but 12+ hrs of full-on sunlight, then don't hesitate to take along extra weight in spare battery packs. A battery charger for NB-5L and the like capable of accepting 5.5V/500mA USB or 12V/1A car adapter input is an insignificant mass compared to the extra batteries you'll need to tide you over bad weather days.

Also just out of interest I would presume that people would rather go for the Samsung than the Kodak's, and if so which model do people on here prefer?
    I recently got the Samsung L210 as my really basic (and pocketable) P&S. The USB charger was not a factor in the decision, though.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/