Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Samsung L series, at least, has USB charging. It sounds like it has pros and cons.
    Name:  samsungcharger.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  screen.JPG
Views: 1041
Size:  111.8 KB
    Last edited by SpecialK; 10-24-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

So out of the Samsungs and Kodaks that can charge via USB, which models do people prefer? Also anyone know of any other companies that have cameras that charge via usb?

Quote Originally Posted by david151 View Post
    So out of the Samsungs and Kodaks that can charge via USB, which models do people prefer? Also anyone know of any other companies that have cameras that charge via usb?
    I think you are beating a dead horse, but I recently ordered (have not received) a Samsung L210 because I wanted something as small as possible (with my minimum feature requirement), and under $150. I was shooting for $100, but ended up at $138.

The charging method was a non-factor.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

which models do people prefer
    Your best bet is to check the Amazon site. The detail report for each camera model will include user reviews, with a breakdown by number of stars awarded. The camera with more reviews has likely sold in greater numbers. Making sense of the star ratings is really tricky. As there will always be a fair number of newbies buying the camera who had very unrealistic expectations.

Kelly

Assault of a battery?

Charging camera batteries is an issue I must admit to having never thought much about Dave. I'm of the (old-fashioned?) "AA school of thought" when it comes to batteries, and unlike a lot of folks, I dislike so-called proprietary batteries (which you can't recharge and/or replace out in the boondocks).

I've just weighed a pair of 2500 mAh, NiMH AA cells at 58g total, (same as an egg!) so I guess I've never been concerned about carrying around a few fully-charged spares (or picking up a couple of ordinary alkaline AAs at a 7-11 store for emergencies).

I can certainly understand the point you're making about travelling both lightweight as possible, and with as few encumbrances as possible though.

The only point I'm not clear about: You'll only be charging at home camera and/or laptop via USB with a PC, or, you wanna be able to recharge just your camera in the field? Sorry; my dumb LOL.

Cheers

Sorry I don't know what you mean? With usb charge I will be able to charge anywhere, as I can plug into a pc. Also I don't need to carry around a bulky charging cradle. When at home during the night I want to plug directly into the wall to charge, and also plug directly in to charge when in the car. I hope this answers your question

I can’t believe you guys don’t hate having to carry a charging cradle round all the time.
    We don't carry cradles. We carry spare batteries. Batteries are lighter than laptops with USB ports...plus they fit in a pocket!
    Ouch.

Sorry I don't know what you mean? With usb charge I will be able to charge anywhere, as I can plug into a pc. Also I don't need to carry around a bulky charging cradle. When at home during the night I want to plug directly into the wall to charge, and also plug directly in to charge when in the car. I hope this answers your question
    What he's asking is, when and how will you recharge your laptop? The AC adapters on those aren't exactly weightless and you WILL have to recharge it sometime...after all it won't just be powering itself, it'll be charging everything else you have with you.

I'm of the opposite mind as Beowulff when it comes to proprietaries though. I find that the props last a lot longer and weigh significantly less. Any cost difference is rendered moot either by convenience, longevity, or simply weight. Two AA batteries don't last long in a typical digi...especially if you use a lot of flash. Have lots of spares (more weight) or plan on charging them frequently. Good props can last a helluva lot longer AND you can carry more with you at lesser weight penalty.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 10-26-2008 at 06:40 AM.
    Ouch.

Um.....?

Thanks Donald...

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    What he's asking is, when and how will you recharge your laptop? The AC adapters on those aren't exactly weightless and you WILL have to recharge it sometime...after all it won't just be powering itself, it'll be charging everything else you have with you.....
    That's precisely what I was trying to sort out, as I get the impression (which could be wrong!) that Dave wanted to charge his camera from the USB port on his laptop in the field but how would he then charge his laptop out in the boonies?

All too complicated for my poor old brain LOL.

Cheers

It doesn't make sense to me either. If I'm lugging a laptop and it's AC adapter, I'm not gonna mind the little 2 ounce* charger for my camera batteries.

*literally...I put it on my shipping scale. it's 2.9 ounces with a battery and 2 ounces without battery.
    Ouch.