Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cameras that can charge via usb or have inbuilt charging?

I am looking for a digital camera that has the ability to charge via usb. Other than really low quality webcam type cameras, the only cameras I have found are by Kodak. These are the following models:

EASYSHARE M753 Zoom Digital Camera
    EASYSHARE M853 Zoom Digital Camera
    EASYSHARE M873 Zoom Digital Camera
    EASYSHARE M883 Zoom Digital Camera
    EASYSHARE V1233 Zoom Digital Camera
    EASYSHARE V1253 Zoom Digital Camera

The problem is none of these cameras has received very good reviews, and I wondered if anyone knew of any other cameras that can be charged via usb. Alternatively I would consider a camera with an inbuilt charging circuit, thus allowing me to plug directly into the wall without the need to carry a separate charging cradle etc.

If anyone has any ideas of cameras fitting my needs I would be very grateful.

Thanks Dave

If I'm not mistaken, USB specification can only provide 5 volts power. That might have an effect on some batteries, depending on their spec.

As for a camera without an external adapter and battery charger, I'm guessing manufacturers do it to keep them as compact as possible, and for easier adoptions between different countries (different wall sockets and voltage requires different adapters and plugs/cables).

I do think it will be useful if all electronic devices can be charged via USB since USB is very universal nowadays. Also, you can use one of these if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere without an electrical/usb plug: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...83.html?page=6 .

Back to topic, I'm afraid I don't know any recent cameras that does that. Even my new-ish Nokia phone doesn't charge from USB .

Could you explain the reason for what you need a camera that can be charged via USB or being plugged in constantly for charging? It's kind of unexpected requirement for a typical camera
    I guess that you are looking for something called network camera, am I right?

The reason so few cameras have this feature is that it's not particularly useful. USB charging is slow, much slower then plugging into a wall charger. If you want to have multiple sets of batteries this doesn't work well either; you can't charge one set while using the other.

What is your intended use of this camera?

Looks like Dave had no other intention than to remind everyone about the Kodak cameras and that they have the feature of charging via USB.

Having the ability to charge via USB is a big plus for me as I have lots of gadgets such as MP3 players, Mobile phones etc that I can charge via my laptop. This way when travel I donít have to mess around with different chargers / adapters etc. I believe in light travel and for me this is of paramount importance.

With reference to the argument that if a camera can be charged directly then you are unable to use it while it is charging. Why do people think this? All of the cameras I have seen that have inbuilt charge circuits, also have external battery chargers on the market that you can buy if you really want to. It is not an either or request, but you get the best of both worlds.

Also when charging the camera from the car it is really annoying to have to take the battery out and put it in a cradle and then plug in an adapter to the cigarette port. It is just so much stuff to have to carry, whereas in my car I have one cigarette usb adapter that charges all my devices (apart from camera).

I think USB charging is a great idea and already supports my phone, mp3 player, so why not camera? I take your point that USB charging is slow due to the low power output from USB, however I always charge things overnight so that is no problem. The Kodak cameras only take about 3 hours to charge from USB. I donít consider this a long time, especially as I always charge my things overnight

I canít believe you guys donít hate having to carry a charging cradle round all the time. I will be going on a camping expedition in Siberia very soon and am very picky about the weight and compact size of all equipment I take. For instance my main jacket weighs under 270 grams, shoes under 135 grams, pan under 200 grams, laptop under 1kg. I try and economize weight / mass in every area I can. You may say a charging cradle is only 100 grams or so, but as far as I am concerned that is 100grams too much. Also besides it is more separate parts to have to worry about. You would be surprised how being so picky about every item saves you a massive amount a weight in your final pack.

Hope this answers your question

Quote Originally Posted by david151 View Post
    I canít believe you guys donít hate having to carry a charging cradle round all the time. I will be going on a camping expedition in Siberia very soon and am very picky about the weight and compact size of all equipment I take. For instance my main jacket weighs under 270 grams, shoes under 135 grams, pan under 200 grams, laptop under 1kg. I try and economize weight / mass in every area I can. You may say a charging cradle is only 100 grams or so, but as far as I am concerned that is 100grams too much. Also besides it is more separate parts to have to worry about. You would be surprised how being so picky about every item saves you a massive amount a weight in your final pack.

Hope this answers your question
    If you're bringing a laptop, weight considerations go out the window. I backpack (in the woods) and carry a few extra batteries with me. When I travel, a small charger isn't much. Chargers are small and weigh very little. I easily go through more then a single battery in a day at times.

Bottom line, very few cameras have this feature because very few people value it as a feature. The alternative is to use AA and AAA batteries for all your electronics and bring one charger for that.

The 3 hour charge time was like my experience with recharging NiMH AA batts. Very frustrating with the NiMH types since they shouldn't be recharded when still having some charge in them. So a daily scheduled recharge becomes impossible. The charger for my Fuji dedicated ion batt is at least twice as fast, and the batt can be "topped off" at any time.

Just put my recharger on a postal scale and it's 2 oz. The bulk is really a bigger issue, slightly thicker than a pack of cigarettes. And needs a 110V outlet of course.

I like choices and it would be nice to have the USB choice in the mix. But I sure wouldn't want that slow a recharge as my one-and-only choice. Too much of a nightmare from my NiMH AA days.

Kelly Cook

I just telephoned Samsung and they confirmed that all the NV, L and I range cameras support USB charging and direct wall charging. Does anyone know any other makes apart from Samsung and Kodak? Also just out of interest I would presume that people would rather go for the Samsung than the Kodak's, and if so which model do people on here prefer?

As for taking my laptop when travelling, this is something I have to do for work purposes and don't want a really tiny screen like on smart phones. When the new Linux based Pandora console comes in I think I will grab one of those as I will be able to run open office on it etc.

Quote Originally Posted by david151 View Post
    I can’t believe you guys don’t hate having to carry a charging cradle round all the time.
    We don't carry cradles. We carry spare batteries. Batteries are lighter than laptops with USB ports...plus they fit in a pocket!
    Ouch.ô