Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Pocket Camera: USB Charging, Optical VF?

I bought an Olympus FE-340 as a pocket/backup camera (primarily for travel) about a year ago. I am pleased with the size and the general concept but it has two significant shortcomings. First, I have to carry a charger just for it. I'd rather charge using a USB charger that also charges other things. Second it does not have an optical viewfinder, which makes some shooting situations into "point and hope" sessions due to the displayed image being wiped out by sunlight.

The other aspects, 8MP, 5x zoom, size, etc. are about right for me. Any suggestions on a replacement that fixes the two shortcomings?

There was a recent question about USB charging here. You can see if any of these also meet your zoom and optical viewfinder requirements.

If not for the USB charging and the fact that it was just discontinued the canon A720 would be ideal.

There's only a handful of cameras (mostly Kodaks, IIRC) that will charge via USB. The cameras themselves are only just adequate, nothing special, and none have an optical viewfinder.

The charger for the Canons and Sonys are pretty small, and if you want a viewfinder it's either Canon or Sony.

There was a recent question about USB charging
    Yes, I looked at that one. I skipped the Kodaks due to my perception that they are a little lower quality than I want. I did look at the Samsungs but didn't see any with optical viewfinders. So I thought I'd give a new thread a shot. Typically there are a few fairly knowledgeable types that hang around a forum like this one, so I decided to see what you all have to say.

There's a limited number of cameras that have USB charging because it's not a very highly desired feature. I think we covered what's available in that other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    ... First, I have to carry a charger just for it. I'd rather charge using a USB charger that also charges other things. Second it does not have an optical viewfinder, which makes some shooting situations into "point and hope" sessions due to the displayed image being wiped out by sunlight.

The other aspects, 8MP, 5x zoom, size, etc. are about right for me. Any suggestions on a replacement that fixes the two shortcomings?
    Well, it looks like you have to fix the two shortcomings by buying 2 cameras for carrying around in 2 pockets

- One with the optical view finder and optical zoom from canon or sony.
    - The other "camera" with USB charging from sony ericsson.