Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey dr4gon, I'll trade ya the new TAMRON AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) "utility" and a Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4 for that extra flash you have.

Both in terrific condition ... the 28-300 just got a tweak from TAMRON, too ... so it's about as good as a utility lens can get. You already know what the f/1.4 prime is good for.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-28-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

mmmmm you are tempting me... ugh lol..... but, I'll have to pass.

(it's on the ebay right now though.)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Want me to pop over to the bay and run it up a bit for you? LOL I don't think you should have to much problem moving it. I know I am going to kick myself but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money right now, and I know if I grab a "old" 36 unit I will keep saying I should have bought the 58!! argjhhhhhhhhh! So to make myslef feel better I bought some older non digital glass, SSHHHHHH don't tell Don LOL but they were pretty reasonable, something to play with, and I could only have bought a fourth of a 58 with what I paid. So anyway look for (Whats in the box) this week!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Want me to pop over to the bay and run it up a bit for you? LOL I don't think you should have to much problem moving it. I know I am going to kick myself but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money right now, and I know if I grab a "old" 36 unit I will keep saying I should have bought the 58!! argjhhhhhhhhh! So to make myslef feel better I bought some older non digital glass, SSHHHHHH don't tell Don LOL but they were pretty reasonable, something to play with, and I could only have bought a fourth of a 58 with what I paid. So anyway look for (Whats in the box) this week!
    lol thanks, but I just set a buy it now price.

Although with live.com's cash back you could save 25% right now lol.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Good luck. If it doesn't move, the deal stands. Photographers helping out photographers.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

What is the change over you guys are talking about?

I picked up an open box 36, and I'm thinking about returning it because I didn't get the case or any other accesories with it, but if it's not going to be very forward compatible, I might not buy another 36.

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    What is the change over you guys are talking about?

I picked up an open box 36, and I'm thinking about returning it because I didn't get the case or any other accesories with it, but if it's not going to be very forward compatible, I might not buy another 36.
    change? (ugh, so tired of hearing about it , but to your point lol I'm not aware of any incompatibilities). The f58 is just the most superior flash on the minolta/sony lineup. It and the 42 flash have enhanced recyicling times, a higher guide number (more powerful), and various other features for adjusting the light.
    flickr

Cool Clearing the air!

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    change? (ugh, so tired of hearing about it , but to your point lol I'm not aware of any incompatibilities). The f58 is just the most superior flash on the minolta/sony lineup. It and the 42 flash have enhanced recyicling times, a higher guide number (more powerful), and various other features for adjusting the light.

The '56 and the '36 do not have "flash groups" and will not work in that way with the new '58 and '42 flashes. That's the big whoo-haa concerning this. Also, the new A900 was designed with using the '58 as the optimum flash for it. It's not brain surgery.

You can buy the older flashes (Minolta 5800, Minolta 3600, SONY '56 and/or SONY '36) and they will work together, without a problem, but you are going to miss out on the added features of the newer flashes these new cameras can make use of.

It depends on your level of photography. If you plan on expanding your hobby, then buy the newer technology.

flickr & Sdi

It still confuses me, as do many things Sony does. It would stand to reason that the '56 is newer tech. than the '42 but am I correct that you CAN'T synch the 56 to the 58, will the 42 work with the 56?? I think I saw this before, maybe I should look for it. Somehow I know I am going to wind up with a 58!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

I'm still the new kid on the block, but Sean I think the 36 and 56 were sorta the high and low model of the first generation, and the 42 and 58 are the newer generation. After that last post I looked around and realized I couldn't find the 36 anywhere. It seems as though the 42 and 58 are pretty much the newer versions.

Not being able to work together is a bit of a stinker, thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I have to figure out if (for me) its worth keeping this 36 that is missing all of the accessories, or going back and spending 2x as much on a 42...